British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-10-20, 09:01 AM

Default Royal Irish Rifles Collars

I recently acquired a set of white metal 'Royal Irish Rifle's Officer collar badges', though I'm trying to determine precisely when they were worn. I have read through Churchill's Infantry Collar Badge, but find it a bit confusing.

Churchill states that the first OSD collar badge (the bronze collar - Fig.1750) was introduced in 1902 and replaced in 1910 by a similar smaller item (Fig 1756) also in white metal - which I assume to be the same as mine. However, he also claims that in 1913 the collar badges changed to white metal (Fig 1751), which is the same as the very first pattern.

My question, then, is were all white metal collars introduced post 1913, or was it just the larger first pattern that was re-introduced? It seems strange to change from the large pattern to a smaller, then back to the larger but in white metal. To me, it would make more sense if both the bronzed and white metal collars of the same pattern existed simultaneously, or in succession, and were later replaced by the smaller collars.

If anyone has any further information or opinions, I would be happy to hear them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (82.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg RIR collars.jpg (58.1 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg RIR collars2.jpg (53.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-10-20, 12:33 PM

Kyle got this from a very knowledgeable collector.. "The OSD collars introduced in 1902 were as those shown in fig.1750, bronze or bronzed brass. These were worn right thro. WW1 and and were not phased out in 1913 as stated in the article, w/m version were also worn WW1 and in fact I have them in bronze, bronzed brass, blackened brass, w/metal and even a tested silver one.

Fig. 1756, is in my opinion a makers variation and interpretation of Dress Regs. and again I have these in all types of metals. There are also smaller versions or “Dinkies” as we called them, WW1 period.

The badge shown in Fig.1755 is a standard cap badge and was never worn as a collar badge, with the exception that in WW1 some officers, who were made up from the ranks and could not purchase proper badges owing to being overseas ,wore them. I have photographs of this in my collection.

Fig. 1757 is also, in my opinion not a collar badge, but a brooch. I think what he refers to in the article is once again “The Dinkie”.

He mentions a new die being cut in 1924, but* The RUR never wore collar badges much after 1922, until the QC pattern in the early 1960s.

Rifle Regiments generally did not wear collar badges in No.1 or Full Dress, as opposed to Line Infantry Regiments, with the exception of Officers Mess Dress.

I can make out Fig.1752, but I assume its the B/Brass QC badge as opposed to 1753, which looks liked the Chromed version worn by Pipers and Bandsmen during the 1960s".
Hope it helps. Thanks to BR.

Last edited by irishhorse; 01-10-20 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-10-20, 02:28 PM

Thank you for the comprehensive response, Danny (and to your source). That confirms my suspicions about the strange distinction between white metal and brass badges. It's also good to know that it's not a later set but simply a maker's variation.

I also thought fig.1755 just looked like a standard blackened cap badge. It certainly makes sense that those who received field-commissions would revert to what is available

Regarding fig. 1757, such a brooched badge was for sale on Bulldog Militaria, advertised as a boss cord badge: https://www.bulldogmilitaria.co.uk/e...1#.X3Xlg6LQhPY
I almost purchased it myself, but was fortunately warned by another collector that it was simply a brooch.

Personally, I prefer the 1902 bronze OSD collars (fig.1750), but I have been looking for a set for a while now and only seen singles for sale, so when these came along I snapped them up