British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-10-12, 04:37 AM

Default More Boonie Badge Idents

Hello Gents, im back again for more help with idents on boonie badges - any help much appreciated!

1... boonie 77.jpg

2... boonies55.jpg

3... boonies61.jpg

i suspect one of them is the Brockville Rifles,
Old 12-10-12, 05:07 AM

Default Boonie badges.....

Hi;
Top- Brockville Rifles
Middle- Nova Scotia Highlanders
Bottom- Royal Winnipeg Rifles
Cheers,
John S.
Old 12-10-12, 10:47 AM

Default Boonie Badges

Boonie Badges!!?

The term you are looking for is Combat Cap Badges.
Old 12-10-12, 01:25 PM

Hi John S, many thanks for the idents - very much appreciated.

Ed - as im sure your aware, there are many names floating about for these and boonie badges just happens to be my favourite so i use that... its not something i made up!

im still waiting to find any CADPAT versions - theres a similar retangular PPCLI patch, but other than that nothing yet - was there a concious decision made some where to discontinue the use of insignia on head gear in the field?
Old 12-10-12, 03:49 PM

Default Nomenclature

Collector names are silly slang terms made up by people who do not know what they are talking about. We don't make up names when ordering car or computer parts, so informed and knowledgeable collectors should at least make an effort to use the correct terminology when discussing insignia.

The Combat Cap Badges have been discontinued and currently are not issued with the new CADPAT Combat Cap.
Old 12-10-12, 04:34 PM

Default Nomneclature..

Boonie Cap or Boonie Hat is actually not collector slang but how that particular issued item was refered to by the soldiers that wore them, I know that because I actually wore one. It would be correct to state that according to the stock item description the item is a Combat Cap badge, regardless, the type of response above is one of the reasons new members here do not post.
Old 12-10-12, 08:10 PM

The hat in army nomenclature terms is HAT, QUARPEL, also PARKTOWN. I have never heard of anyone call them that, when I wore one back in the day we called them boonie hats (which the US invented) or combat cap (hat).
Not everything comes in a catalogue is called that in the field, for example the AVGP Cougar 6X6 was called a "boat". The tone of Ed Storey's response is not called for. If he wants to call it a purple elephant hat, so be it.

Last edited by Bill A; 12-10-12 at 09:26 PM.
Old 13-10-12, 12:22 PM

Hi Jonny

John is spot on. Never saw a Cadpat Regt'l badge yet though.

I wore this hat/Cap in Pet starting in 1983 till they left and we called 'em the "Bush Cap". Big with the "Grunts" but not "Boat People"; they wore a Black Beret w/ no capbadge when in the field. I was Airborne Armoured Recce so we and the leg recce zips did wear them but few had the Regt'l boonie badges. Mine had my old-style cbt nametag and the SSF smock wings under the rear flap. The Inf guys usually had paracord chin strings, but we were discouraged from them due to being mounted and getting snagged happened a little more quickly and had more dire consequences than a grunt walking.

Back in the mid-80s in Pet amongst the crowd I went to the field with and those we worked with, a shrunken down and naturally bleached out condition bushcap with a couple of key badges sewn on (perhaps Wings, Rigger, Pathfinder, or even French Commando, Brit para or US Ranger), was de rigueur.

Now I see Red Green and giggle inwardly!!

CADPAT one is generally called, by me now and the troops I work with, either a "softcap" or "floppyhat".

Names are names. I knew what jonnynation meant in his initial post so......what's the issue?

regards
Darrell
Old 13-10-12, 02:31 PM

Default Combat hat

Here are some boonie combat badges I have collected over the years.

The most unusual one is the combat tab flag for Quebec, never seen another since, I really dont think it was ever worn, Quebec is still a Canadian province last time I checked.

Bill A, why did you edit my response, it was not directed to anyone in particular and not derogatory, just calling what it is, and is my opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Boonie badges.jpg (72.1 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Boonie badges 2.jpg (71.7 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Boonie badges A.jpg (77.9 KB, 102 views)
Old 13-10-12, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynation View Post
Hello Gents, im back again for more help with idents on boonie badges - any help much appreciated!

1... Attachment 70804

2... Attachment 70805

3... Attachment 70806

i suspect one of them is the Brockville Rifles,
You may want to take a look at the Canadian Post 1953 Project. If you look through it, you might get a feel for the look of combat cap badges compared to regimental badges and at the same time, see that it is a great resource for identifying Canadian badges without the expense of purchasing a reference book that somebody has taken the time and expense to write.
The Post 1920 project is well worth a look as many Canadian badge designs have not changed much over 90 years.

Can we call truce on the "mud slinging"? I've never heard the field cap/bush cap called a "boonie hat" during my 25+ years in the CF. I have heard it called the "cap, ridiculous" by some of my superiors. If I used that term, nobody would know what I was talking about. In my experience "boonie hat" is an American term, and with no disrespect to our American cousins, one of the things that distinguishes our two nations is our use of the English language. Use the Canadian expression. When I made the error of using an American expression, a veteran collector/soldier once corrected me, we have units, the Americans have outfits. Lesson learned.
Ed has put a great deal of work over the years into his research, particularly in the areas of field uniforms and equipment and people have benefitted from that research, including members of this forum.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 13-10-12 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Didn't want to get banned.
Old 14-10-12, 09:57 PM

Default Combat Hat badges.....

Tanker Mike:
Thanks for posting your further examples of combat hat badges.
That subdued Quebec flag one is a head scratcher! Maybe it was done up by some zealot separatist, anticipating that it would quickly replace the Candadian flag currently seen on ALL cadpat uniforms worn by Quebec based military units, or???? (fill in the rest!!).
Cheers,
John S.
Old 14-10-12, 10:45 PM

Tanker Mike, nice selection of badges, many thanks for posting!

Philip, regarding your comment on the books, i do find them expensive indeed, and almost impossible to find second hand. Also, good luck finding any in libraries around where i live. I have been collecting for a number of years and have a couple of reference books, but if i was to go out and buy books that i thought would be useful (and none of them ever seem to agree!), i would never be able to afford to buy any insignia at all - and then what would be the point?

That said, i have recently scanned all of my boonie badges, and would be happy to forward copies of the images to you for that post 53 project, if you would like them?
Old 15-10-12, 11:48 AM

I have this one amongst my collection which i can not seem to identify, it must be missing from the -post 53 collection? Any help with ident much appreciated!

boonie1.jpg
Old 15-10-12, 01:06 PM

Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 15-10-12, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynation View Post
I have this one amongst my collection which i can not seem to identify, it must be missing from the -post 53 collection? Any help with ident much appreciated!

Attachment 71034
Here is the image in the Canadian post 1920 Project.
This is why I suggest books. If a collector is serious about collecting, they need to educate themselves on their subject.
And please, I don't need the peanut gallery chiming in to tell me how arrogant or "forum unfriendly" I am by suggesting that people make the effort to learn about their chosen subject.

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.