British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 07-03-22, 03:25 PM

Default Early War RND photos?

Does anyone have early war photos of RND showing field equipment in any clear detail??
Old 07-03-22, 04:14 PM

I have just bought some RND postcards showing them wearing pattern 14 leather Infantry equipment. If they arrive today I'll share some pictures.
Old 07-03-22, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH331 View Post
I have just bought some RND postcards showing them wearing pattern 14 leather Infantry equipment. If they arrive today I'll share some pictures.
Sounds interesting! I’m really hoping to find images of the 1901 equipment in use...
Old 07-03-22, 06:28 PM

There are one or two in here.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=3364
Old 08-03-22, 04:28 PM

Based on High Wood's album RMLI seem to be issued with Pattern 1908 Web Equipment and RND battalions with Pattern 14 Leather Equipment. The photo I have in the post shows Pattern 14 equipment. I would surmise that the Royal Naval Division of August 1914 wore Naval Pattern Equipment the later drafts when the RND fell under Army control would have been equipped with pattern 14 leather alongside their Kitchener Battalion counterparts.
Old 08-03-22, 11:15 PM

Here is a picture that belonged to Able Seaman Elliot Hood Battalion RND. Taken no earlier than 1917 showing the pattern 14 leather Infantry equipment, helmet and small box respirator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg AC1F711B-44F4-4B3A-BAD2-63E8E611B3FB.jpeg (103.3 KB, 58 views)
Old 09-03-22, 12:03 AM

Interesting stuff... would anyone have earlier images of equipment used in conjunction with the Long Lee MLE/CLLE? Am very interested in the bayonet scabbards that were put into use.
Old 09-03-22, 01:14 AM

The photo shows all armed with the pattern 1914 Enfield Rifle. Were the entire RND similarly armed? I don't know if it is just me, but those helmets look a bit odd....

CB
Old 09-03-22, 10:59 PM

Big helmets on young men.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbuehler View Post
The photo shows all armed with the pattern 1914 Enfield Rifle. Were the entire RND similarly armed? I don't know if it is just me, but those helmets look a bit odd....

CB
Old 09-03-22, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMcM View Post
Interesting stuff... would anyone have earlier images of equipment used in conjunction with the Long Lee MLE/CLLE? Am very interested in the bayonet scabbards that were put into use.
Mark,

I too have a keen interest in British Bayonet Frogs and can add the following in relation to the RN.

The pre 1901 sea service equipment used the 1888 Naval Leather Belt Frogs for the P.1888 bayonet. By the turn of the century it was the Mk.IV in use. [Carter 86]. Then the Pattern 1901 Naval Accoutrements was introduced but it was common for the pre 1901 equipment to still be worn years later.

When the Pattern 1901 Naval Accoutrements came in to full use they should have been using the Pattern 1901 Naval Accoutrements Belt Frogs with the swivelling belt loop. [Carter 96]

However about the same time the Pattern 1903 Naval Mk. II & III Scabbard and Belt Frog was introduced [Carter 112 & 113] with the P.1903 Bayonet and that scabbard and frog could of course be also used for the P.1888 bayonets as well from that point.

Then with the eventual issue of the SMLE, the 1908 Webbing Equipment belt frog was available for the P.1907 Bayonets followed by the 1914 Leather Infantry equipment belt frog.

So as you can see with such a varied combination of frogs (and bayonets) available I can imagine that there was a mixture worn for a while.

Naval photos of sailors in full equipment for the period 1903-1914 hard to source from my experience but would be interested to see any myself too.

Hope that helps

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 10-03-22, 01:42 AM

Thanks Simon…. Pm inbound…
Old 10-03-22, 05:40 PM

Default RND (RNAS Armoured Car Section) Officer's Equipment

Hello MarkMcM,
Have tried twice to up-load images, Enough! Using alternative method of communication.There are two images hopefully of possible interest at the bottom of my following blog article; https://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2019/...oured-car.html
Best Regards,
Jim AKA Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
Old 13-03-22, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnhem Jim View Post
Hello MarkMcM,
Have tried twice to up-load images, Enough! Using alternative method of communication.There are two images hopefully of possible interest at the bottom of my following blog article; https://arnhemjim.blogspot.com/2019/...oured-car.html
Best Regards,
Jim AKA Arnhem Jim
Arizona Territory
Interesting images Jim… thanks!