British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Other Commonwealth Military Insignia > All other Colonial Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-07-11, 02:50 PM

Default Info on Commonwealth infantry units required

Hi all

I hope that this is the right section to put this request. I have started to collect current issue infantry badges from Commonwealth countries. I have researched as much I can but there are some countries of which I have been unable to find any information about their infantry units. These countries are

Cyprus
Dominica
Gambia
Grenada
Mauritius
Nauru
Nigeria
St.Lucia
St. Vincent
Samoa
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Swaziland
Tuvalu
Tanzania
Vanuatu
Zambia

Any information, i.e unit titles, cap badges or whether any of these countries have infantry units would be most appreciated.

I would also appreciate any further information on the infantry of Bangladesh (I know of two infantry regiments there) and Lesotho (I know of their airborne battalion)

My last question is I have been researching the status of Rhodesia as a member of the commonwealth. I know until UDI, they were members and were reinstated in 1980 (I am aware that they are no longer members). But I have read conflicting articles as to whether they were considered members in the period from UDI to 1980? I am interested in whether collectors such as yourselves would include cap badges from this period in a commonwealth collection.

thank you for any information or if you can point me in the right direction that would be most appreciated
Old 06-07-11, 03:26 PM

Default Army info site

You could have a look here..http://www.armyrecognition.com/
This is the link for the African page..http://www.armyrecognition.com/index...=61&Itemid=274
French site with English support.
Regards
WF
Old 06-07-11, 04:21 PM

Welcome to the forum. Some information on Cyprus. As Cyprus was under British control until 1960 it did not have a military as such. During WW2 the Cyprus Regiment was formed in 1940 and disbanded in in 1950. There was also a Cyprus Home Guard but I have no information on them, there is a badge. After independance a Cypriot National Guard was formed. Here are some badges from the Cyprus Regt a Officer bronze, a Plastic badge and a gilding metal badge. I hope this helps. Sorry the last two are a bit dark.

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)

Last edited by engr9266; 27-01-13 at 10:08 AM.
Old 06-07-11, 04:29 PM

L1A1, Have a look at this link, it may help http://www.flagsforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=746

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)

Last edited by engr9266; 06-07-11 at 05:06 PM.
Old 06-07-11, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1A1 View Post
Hi all

I hope that this is the right section to put this request. I have started to collect current issue infantry badges from Commonwealth countries. I have researched as much I can but there are some countries of which I have been unable to find any information about their infantry units. These countries are

Cyprus
Dominica
Gambia
Grenada
Mauritius
Nauru
Nigeria
St.Lucia
St. Vincent
Samoa
Seychelles
Sierra Leone
Swaziland
Tuvalu
Tanzania
Vanuatu
Zambia

Any information, i.e unit titles, cap badges or whether any of these countries have infantry units would be most appreciated.

I would also appreciate any further information on the infantry of Bangladesh (I know of two infantry regiments there) and Lesotho (I know of their airborne battalion)

My last question is I have been researching the status of Rhodesia as a member of the commonwealth. I know until UDI, they were members and were reinstated in 1980 (I am aware that they are no longer members). But I have read conflicting articles as to whether they were considered members in the period from UDI to 1980? I am interested in whether collectors such as yourselves would include cap badges from this period in a commonwealth collection.

thank you for any information or if you can point me in the right direction that would be most appreciated
Hello L1AI

Some people say politics and badges don't go together but I consider that completely naive.

The period that you are asking about will no doubt spark essay like answers from all sides and will differ depending upon one's politics.Some will quote "the law" but in conflict whose law do you follow?

For my tuppence halfpenny my Rhodesian badges stand alone and I do not include them in the Commonwealth in my collection.

ATB

Dave
Old 07-07-11, 04:39 PM

Hi everyone

thanks for all the replies to my query, you have certainly pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks for your reply Dave, and after a bit of thought I think I will follow your lead and keep Rhodesia as a seperate collection.

Thanks once again everyone
Old 09-07-11, 05:34 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1A1 View Post
Hi everyone

thanks for all the replies to my query, you have certainly pointed me in the right direction.

Thanks for your reply Dave, and after a bit of thought I think I will follow your lead and keep Rhodesia as a seperate collection.

Thanks once again everyone
A book that may help... I recently bought this and its a mine of info on most of the 'smaller' commonwealth countries. Its not cheap, but I have found all but one of commonwealth badges I have collected over the years.

British Commonwealth Badges by Barry & Margaret Renfrew, and Bill Cranston.
Terrier Press. ISBN 978-0-9563175-1-3
It has been mentioned before on this forum but I cannot recall when.

The only problem I have found is that it highlights what you don't have and are unlikely to ever see or be able to get hold of. However, I have found it extremely useful. Nice clear pictures. I wish there was a book like this on the British Cavalry Regiments...... hint, hint.
Its a good read as well. I (personally) recommend it.
For political correctness and legal purposes (which keeps raising its ugly head these days) I should point out that I have absolutely no connection with the authors etc etc. So don't sue me if you don't like it... Although I reckon that one of these days, it will be possible........... the way you can be sued in Luxembourg if someone recommends a builder who turns out to do shoddy work - which is why no-one will recommend one................ You have been warned. Have a nice Sunni weekend/.
Old 13-07-11, 10:12 AM

Thanks Wright 241, I hadn't heard of that book and will endeavour to obtain a copy

thanks once again
Old 13-07-11, 01:02 PM

Default Commonwealth Rgts

Hi L1A1

This web site provides links to other sites around the world listing & describing regiments & corps of the Commonwealth. It has been archived, so that there has been no new work done on it for several years. So some of the links may not work. You cannot find it through Google etc.

http://web.archive.org/web/200801180...ions/index.htm

Have a look through the Nations section, the other section to look at is the Regiments. A lot of research possiblities here. For instances Samoa has no military, it is dependent on New Zealand for defence.

Obviously a lot of historical info here but there is plenty of modern units to keep you busy. Hope it helps & it's free!

Good luck.
Alan
Old 14-07-11, 03:31 AM

Hi Alan

many thanks for the links, it does have a lot of information and has answered several of my questions already

thanks once again

Ron