British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-09-11, 09:04 PM

Default Special Services cap badge? help please

Hi guys,

Bought this badge in Winchester today, none of us, including the dealer, could think of what it may be.

Can you help out please? I have tried quite a few google searches but just get up SAS badges.

Apologies for the bad light, the badge is chromed. Measures 40mmx42mm.

Centre is SS with a dagger in between, outside is a ring of chain, below is the scroll 'Special Services'

Cheers

Phil

Last edited by Phil2M; 06-07-14 at 12:57 PM.
Old 12-09-11, 07:45 AM

Hi Phil, the dagger between the SS is the sign for No 2 commando. All commando were in so called special service brigades. Never seen this badge , may be a sweetheart brooch? Cheers JB
Old 12-09-11, 08:20 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamandJam View Post
Hi Phil, the dagger between the SS is the sign for No 2 commando. All commando were in so called special service brigades. Never seen this badge , may be a sweetheart brooch? Cheers JB
JB,

What is not particularly evident from Phil's images, are the long-ish lugs, on this badge... possibly something which may go against it being sweetheart.

As you say, the dagger between the 'SS' is the sign for No 2 Commando, but what an intriguing badge this is.

I wonder if some private security company took it upon themselves to perhaps unofficially adopt this Commando symbol and use for their own emblem? That chunky chain encircling the central motif certainly looks security comapny-esque. Just a thought, and very probably way off the mark .

Regards,

Peter.
Old 12-09-11, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
JB,

I wonder if some private security company took it upon themselves to perhaps unofficially adopt this Commando symbol and use for their own emblem? That chunky chain encircling the central motif certainly looks security comapny-esque. Just a thought, and very probably way off the mark .

Regards,

Peter.
I am with you Peter In my previous role with the company I work for I was frequently in touch with a huge number of "civillian" security firms across Europe. The link chain is a frequent theme, however the number of them who incorporate winged daggers and even parachute wings within their insignia is frankly embarassing

Still a quality piece very nicely made.

Regards

Paul
Old 12-09-11, 09:44 AM

Peter, you are probably right not a sweetheart badge with these lugs. What it is remains a mystery though. The 2 commando beret badges were handmade from teaspoons dagger only or supported by SS for officers. The veteran reunion ones have the word Commando superimposed. I have seen a quite odd no 4 commando badge. Try to find image. Cheers JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
JB,

What is not particularly evident from Phil's images, are the long-ish lugs, on this badge... possibly something which may go against it being sweetheart.

As you say, the dagger between the 'SS' is the sign for No 2 Commando, but what an intriguing badge this is.

Regards,

Peter.
Old 12-09-11, 09:52 AM

http://mindenmilitaria.com/productdetailinc.cfm?pid=490 see link to an odd no 4 commando badge, no 4 commando did not have it's own cap badge (except Kieffers French outfit) but each one wore his own parent reg badge from which he was on loan. This one may be a sweetheart brooch though as it has a pin.Cheers JB
Old 12-09-11, 10:11 AM

Hello Gentlemen
could it be a SBS badge ? frogmen unit ?
cordially
Didier

Last edited by Just; 12-09-11 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-09-11, 12:36 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsman64 View Post
I am with you Peter In my previous role with the company I work for I was frequently in touch with a huge number of "civillian" security firms across Europe. The link chain is a frequent theme, however the number of them who incorporate winged daggers and even parachute wings within their insignia is frankly embarassing

Still a quality piece very nicely made.

Regards

Paul
Hello Paul,

Your info certainly lends credence to the pivate security theory on this badge.

I agree that it is a nicely made piece.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Peter, you are probably right not a sweetheart badge with these lugs. What it is remains a mystery though. The 2 commando beret badges were handmade from teaspoons dagger only or supported by SS for officers. The veteran reunion ones have the word Commando superimposed. I have seen a quite odd no 4 commando badge. Try to find image. Cheers JB
JB,

A mystery it certainly is.

I am not over-familiar with the various types of Commando badges, so the link in your post above was particularly interesting... thanks.

Hopefully someone will spot this thread and recognise immediately what Phil's badge actually is.

Good luck, Phil.

All the best,

Peter.
Old 12-09-11, 06:47 PM

My badge is stunningly beautiful!! what else could it be?!?

But only if it turns out to have a link to MOD or military!

Re SBS: sword/dagger seems to be pointing the wrong way up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_Boat_Service it would be nice to think that its possible though.

Re Private Security: I think this is probably more likely, although I hope not. This was one of my initial thoughts too. Why would they have ''special services'' rather than ''security services'' ?

Positive ID will remain a mystery until a genius, somewhere, can ID it for me.

Cheers

Phil
Old 12-09-11, 09:01 PM

I have spent 1.5 hours trawling through google search results, and nothing matches this badge at all!!

Phil
Old 13-09-11, 05:21 AM

Phil, if you send me a pm I can have the pics listed on the commando veterans association site with a query what it would be. Personally I do not think it is security company related but to the army commandos. Cheers JB
Old 13-09-11, 05:59 AM
Peter J

Quote:
Phil, if you send me a pm I can have the pics listed on the commando veterans association site with a query what it would be. Personally I do not think it is security company related but to the army commandos. Cheers JB
I hope it turns out to be Commando-related too, Phil. With JB's kind offer, I am sure he'll be able to get it sorted for you, once and for all.

Regards to all,

Peter.
Old 13-09-11, 12:33 PM

I will PM you when I am home, would appreciate that. thanks.

Phil
Old 13-09-11, 04:29 PM

PM sent to you JB, thanks.

Better pictures attached.

Cheers

Phil

Last edited by Phil2M; 06-07-14 at 12:57 PM.
Old 13-09-11, 05:23 PM

Hi Phil,

An interesting badge and as said it would be great if it did have some Commando association.

As already observed the central device is a good representation of an officers No2 Commando badge (see attached image). Also of note is the six pointed star which to me looks like a dead ringer for the various campaign medals that were issued for WWII, i.e. the Africa, Italy, Burma Star (s) etc.

It's a long shot but this makes me think it may be some sort of small old comrades association (?).

Either way, good find and good luck, will watch with interest.

All the best, Roy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (32.3 KB, 10 views)

Despatch Rider Insignia & Photographs.

Author/Dealer in the Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife
My website: www.fsknife.com