British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-09-11, 05:59 PM

Thanks Roy,

An interesting idea, Commrades Association, Hopefully JB's email to the Vets Association will be able to bare fruit in that respect.

Cheers

Phil
Old 14-09-11, 12:14 AM

I am dubious of any contemporary Commando connection to this badge. However the motto on the memorial at Spean Bridge is 'United We Conquer' possibly symbolised by the linked chain. The central device is very similar (if not identical) to No2 Commando insignia - as portrayed earlier in this thread. The wording is Special Services not Special Service - If there is any Commando link (excuse the pun) this is more likely retrospective such as a unit association within the Commando Association (Commando Association stood down in 2005). I am not aware of any such Sub-Associations apart from those linked with No10 (Inter-Allied) Commando, or individual Combined Operations units etc., or of course The St Nazaire Society. It would be interesting to learn of any others for specific Commandos. There was great esprit de corps in each unit. The fact the badge is chromed also points to post war for this genre. All that said - the Security Firm theory still appears sound. It would be good to expose the badge to veteran comment through CVA. I would suggest a request for Geoff to put it in the Newsletter rather than on the website - to get maximum exposure to veterans themselves.
Old 14-09-11, 05:36 AM

Well if Mike does not know who is a renowned cdo collector chances are bleak I have posted on the cva forum but only one negative reaction up to now. The suggestion of Mike to send it with the news letter of CVA makes sense. My feeling still is that it is a commando comrades assoc badge. Cheers JB

Last edited by HamandJam; 14-09-11 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 14-09-11, 08:18 AM

Thanks J-B for your kind words. Like everyone who is interested in the field of Commando collecting/research I have a lot to learn and always appreciate realistic alternative views and debate. There are always surprises but I honestly doubt it in this case. We shall have to see. You can read all sorts of things into badges - for instance a significant proportion of No2 (whose badge is depicted at the centre of this item) formed the perimeter guard at St Nazaire while each demolition party (drawn from across Commando units) went to work. You could speculate that that was another meaning for the chain. But where do you stop? - it can get a bit fanciful. Lets hope the veterans can assist. Regards Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 14-09-11 at 08:26 AM.
Old 14-09-11, 09:09 PM

Thanks to everybody for all the comments, praise, emails, PMs etc on this badge. Very grateful to you all.

I hope that the veterans will be able to cast some light on it.

I contacted a Cambs based security company about the badge, but got no response worth mentioning.

Apologies for not replying earlier but my phone line has been down, Sky came today and interfered, lol.

Thanks

Phil
Old 21-09-11, 11:52 AM

Despite still looking I can find no information on this badge.

Does anybody know of any other forums, maybe a security guard's forum, that i can post on?

Cheers

Phil
Old 22-09-11, 08:35 PM

What about south Africa but I have a feeling I have seen it before that style, i may be wrong but just have a nagging feeling its South African connection .

Dan
Old 28-09-11, 12:49 AM

Hi Dan,

Thanks very much for your lead. I will look into SA special services badges. Much appreciated.

Regards
Phil
Old 23-10-11, 06:46 AM

Gents, just reporting back from the responses of the CVA, it has been shown to 4 cdo vets including 2 from no 2 cdo and no one has ever seen one. The idea that this is a post war badge of a security company badge was also raised by cva forum members. Cheers JB
Old 23-10-11, 12:06 PM

Hello Mate,

I can find no leads on SA either. I believe the best and now widely accepted explanation is a private security company.

Thanks for your efforts, much appreciated. I will try to get on to a security forum, perhaps.

Cheers

Phil
Old 24-10-11, 05:35 AM

Hi Phil, with pleasure, good luck with your search! Cheers JB
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2m View Post
Hello Mate,

I can find no leads on SA either. I believe the best and now widely accepted explanation is a private security company.

Thanks for your efforts, much appreciated. I will try to get on to a security forum, perhaps.

Cheers

Phil
Old 28-09-13, 01:59 PM

Default No 4 Army Commando badge or broach

Sorry having difficulty posting picture of badge or broach. I found it in Mum's things. She was a war widow as Dad was kia in Flushing with No 4 on 1 November 1944. The badge has No 4 Commando on a bar on the top and attached is a circle with S S with a dagger inbetween.

Bill
Old 15-02-14, 12:54 AM

Ebay item 201036191443 a very similar looking badge here!
Old 15-02-14, 08:47 AM

Guys I feel you are trying to make this what it evidentially is not. Its a Cap Badge not intended to be worn on the lapel of a blazer for sure, and a fairly modern one at that and 99% probable of a civilian security nature.

Wanted Poppy Pins