British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-09-08, 01:05 AM

Default My Canadian Cloth - 4th Dgn Gds

Printed (Sexton 29f) and embroidered (Sexton 29d).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Can1 005.jpg (68.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Can1 006.jpg (69.8 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-09-08, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Two nice WW2 era titles for the Plugs. Again, the full name title is the starch or size back pattern.
Old 01-09-08, 10:51 PM

Plugs?! -- love it!
Old 01-09-08, 11:13 PM

Hi guys, me again. As for this title there is a good photograph of Lt.Col. Petch CO. of the Plugs (and former CO of the NNSH in Normandy before his incident with Keller) on his return to Canada in Oct.'45, wearing this full-name with large IV shoulder title in the book written by Lt.Col H.M. Jackson in 1951 on the 4th P.L.D.G. So,can we presume that the unit ordered those when they arrived in NW Europe?
Cheers
Jo
Old 02-09-08, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Hello Jo, The "starch" back or sized titles are a real mystery. I have asked about the provenance of these before, and to date, no explanation has come to light. They are definitely late war, and appear to be a "system" issue.
Units indented for titles once the RAOC / RCOC were tasked with providing them as a "issue" item. And it seems that all the Canadian army units (and some formations) had the starch back titles made.
Old 02-09-08, 12:54 AM

Bill, I remember in the mid-80's those same "starch" back were treated as "English copies" and probably made to flood the market for collectors or re-enactors. Like you, I never got a definite answer to the questions where, when, why. Maybe they were ordered, post-May '45 so guys could put them on the "Best Battledress" when walking out and they looked a lot sharper than the printed ones. Also the Army needed a lot in a short time. But that just me thinking.
What about you, Bill?
Jo