British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Cavalry and Armoured Units

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-08-08, 09:08 PM

Default Prince Edward Island Light Horse

Well all, I attended the Militaria Show and Sale at the Armoury in Peterborough today. This is a very nice trip for me, as I am free and clear of all the headaches and hassels of weekend full of household chores, but that's another story for another time.

My folks reside here in Peterborough and there is nothing better for me than a nice weekend spent with my parents and the show is simply a bonus.

For me the show was not as expected. I was armed with my want list, which for the most part contains many routine items and common badges I wanted to pick up. Also I was packing my Mazeas reference for Second World War Bagdes, my laptop complete with wireless internet access, and my fathers digital camera.

I was all set to fill more than a few holes in my collection. To my suprise, many of the common everyday show items were not to be found. However I was fortunate enough to pick a Prince Edward Island Light Horse Cap Badge.

There were three Light Horse Bagdes that I saw. I picked the overall best one, as expected.

One bagde marked Scully had had the lugs repaired, a fairly good job but not top notch. Another one I saw looked like a cast badge, I honestly didn't bother to even give it a second glance. The third one, is the the one I picked. It is very clean, has some slight wear to the raised areas but only minimal. It too is marked Scully.

Many thanks to fellow forum member Dwayne H. It was through a conversation with him, that I came to understand the Prince Edward Light Horse are a nessessary Regiment in my collection.

Also in attendance were a couple of fellow forum members down from my area, Clive, and John, great to see you guys again.

Without further ado, I present my latest cap badge, The Prince Edward Island Light Horse.

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 23-08-08, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

Nice badge Cliff.
Was the show well attended? How many dealers/tables?
Why did the PEILH have the dark finish on their or's badges?
Old 24-08-08, 01:01 AM

hello Bill, From what I saw, the show traffic was steady but not overly busy. As a buyer, I am bothered somewhat by the fact that when something catches my eye on a table but I can't get close enough for a better look. At this show, that was not really a concern.

Personally I was somewhat let down at the lack of badges. There was a lot of 'military surplus' clothing and the like. Also a couple of different tables selling bullet key chains and things of that nature. The type of tables you would more likely see at a swap meet or car boot.

I did notice that Louis Grimshaw was not present at this one. Something that may have led to my lack of new acquisitions. He seems to always have something I am looking for at a reasonable price.

I noted a rise in badge prices but not overly high. Original 8th REECE cap badge asking price was $550.00, set of 8th REECE scroll titles hallmarked silver were asking $1500.00 If I recall rightly.

My guess at the number of tables would be maybe 35?? Could be way off on that one. I'm certain either Clive or John will be along to correct those numbers for me.

As for the reason for the dark finish on the badge, I am not certain yet. I am looking into it. I had just recently realized that this Regiment was one I needed for my collecting needs, I am playing catch up in regards to the Regiment.

Old 24-08-08, 01:20 AM

hi cliff
nice badge and well done.
i dont suppose you saw any australian items? i dont suppose you look for them, but you never know. i looked at a great board of canadian badges at a local show in oz the other day. but the guys were asking bosley's prices. nice stuff though
bc
Old 24-08-08, 01:29 AM

The only Australian item I saw was a Slouchie. It had no pungie? on it. The badge was a rising sun, but was very brightly polished brass. Actually the badge is what I noticed first, as the sunlight glinted off it.

Other than that I didn't notice any other Australian items.