British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-01-10, 12:37 PM

Default 40 Signal Regiment (V) Tara (Plaid) Brooch

Dear All

Can some kind person within the Forum please display for me a picture of the Tara (Plaid) Brooch that the Corps of Pipes and Drums of 40 Signal Regiment (Volunteers) wear.

There are a couple of pictures in Cliff Lords book but unfortunately they are no really clear enough to make out very well.

I hope someone can help especially now that this Regiment is being desimated again.

With my kind regards

Chris Walker
Old 12-01-10, 04:44 PM

Chris,
I've not seen the book in question, but to the best of my knowledge, 40 sigs never had a pipe band. I know at one stage thay had a flute band. I don't know if that was a short lived thing or not. I'm not just 100% on my statement, however, I will try and find out for you from someone I know who served in that unit next time I'm speaking to them.
I do know that in Northern Ireland, TA units would have used bands from other units for parades etc.
Hope that may be some use to you.

John
Old 12-01-10, 04:44 PM

There isn't a 40 (U) Signal Regiment Pipes and Drums anymore, just one piper left and he wears the The Royal Corp of Signals piper's kit and plaid brooch.

I did have one somewere, should be able to get it on tomorrow, if I'm not beat to it.

There's is a picture of the brooch in British Army Badges, by Lieutenant Colonel Robin Hodges, Page 382.

In the next 3 months there will not be a 40 (U) Signal Regiment, its being disbanded, leaving 69(NIH) Signal Squadron. So if you have any of the Dark Blue Caubeen's and signals hackles, hold on to them. There going to be hard to get, soon.
Old 12-01-10, 04:47 PM

They did have a Pipes and Drums, lasted a couple of years.
The pipes and Drum wore the Royal Corp of Signals Pipes and Drums uniform and the Dark blue Caubeen.

It had problem's getting new player's, so it died off.
Old 12-01-10, 04:58 PM

I was just about to PM and ask you about this - forgot you were on the forum.
Old 12-01-10, 05:19 PM

Blackie

a quick question for you, what type of officers badge was worn in the Caubeen metal, embroidered or both ?

I am away from my books but I recall a photo of a Major in Hodges book with an embroidered badge and in the smaller paperback book on Signals (name escapes me at the moment) I think i recall a metal officers cap badge.

Finally if embroidered what is the backing colour please?

thanks

John
Old 12-01-10, 05:47 PM

As long as I can remember an Officer's and WO 1's caubeen cap badge has always been the embroidered type with the dark blue backing, the same as the caubeen.

If you remember the name of the paperback, I would be interested.
With the regiment been disbanded. Alot of this info will be lost, so I'm trying to get as much as I can.

Thanks
Old 12-01-10, 06:10 PM

Default 40th (U) Signal Regiment Volunteers

Dear All
Many thanks for coming back with replies so quickly.
If I might just go a little further regarding books.
The book I refered to was written by my friend Cliff Lord. He has written two Signals books. The one I refer to is The Royal Corps of Signals unit Histories of the Corps (1920-2001) and its Antecedents.
On page 139 there are two photographs, the top one is of a Bass Drummer with his drum infront of him sitting on the floor. The second photograph on this page is of the Drum Major of 40 (U) Signals Regiment very smartly standing to attention.
On page 140 there is a photograph of a piper of 40 (U) Signals Regiment. This piper has the rank of sergeant. It is this photograph that shows what looks like a Tara (Plaid) Brooch on his left shoulder pinned to the Plaid.
The drummer also has the Tara on his left shoulder. They are all wearing the caubeen and hackle and the two muscians are wearing bow ties.
I have the two different types of hackle that were used by the Regiment on my little web site, www.signalsbadges.co.uk under the UK Section. I would dearly love to put a Tara Brooch there aswell but I need to identify it first hence the request to the forum.

Kind regards

Chris Walker
Old 12-01-10, 06:19 PM

Blackie,

just had a look in the book section of this site and the book that I refer to is there, it is......

Headdress, Badges and Embellishments of The Royal Corps of Signals Harfield, Major A. G. Picton Publishing Ltd., Chippenham 1982 . This is a small paperback but quite useful.

Chris

I have found your site before and congratulations is it a terrific reference.

John
Old 12-01-10, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Walker View Post
Dear All
Many thanks for coming back with replies so quickly.
If I might just go a little further regarding books.
The book I refered to was written by my friend Cliff Lord. He has written two Signals books. The one I refer to is The Royal Corps of Signals unit Histories of the Corps (1920-2001) and its Antecedents.
On page 139 there are two photographs, the top one is of a Bass Drummer with his drum infront of him sitting on the floor. The second photograph on this page is of the Drum Major of 40 (U) Signals Regiment very smartly standing to attention.
On page 140 there is a photograph of a piper of 40 (U) Signals Regiment. This piper has the rank of sergeant. It is this photograph that shows what looks like a Tara (Plaid) Brooch on his left shoulder pinned to the Plaid.
The drummer also has the Tara on his left shoulder. They are all wearing the caubeen and hackle and the two muscians are wearing bow ties.
I have the two different types of hackle that were used by the Regiment on my little web site, www.signalsbadges.co.uk under the UK Section. I would dearly love to put a Tara Brooch there aswell but I need to identify it first hence the request to the forum.

Kind regards

Chris Walker
Chris,
I stand corrected! Could it possibly be a Tara brooch same as ones used by UDR or R.Irish pipers?

I see a few on ebay from time to time. I remember seeing a book about some bloke's time with 40 sigs in the library once. Didn't get it out and no idea what it was called or name of the author. Thought it might have been that you were referring to.

Your website is very good by the way!

John
Old 12-01-10, 07:26 PM

Interesting post gents,did 40 have a Squadron in Lurgan, many moons ago?.Phil.
Old 12-01-10, 07:30 PM

Default 85 signal sqn

Think 85 signal sqn. was based in Lurgan.
Old 12-01-10, 10:54 PM

85 Sig Sqn was based in Lurgan, but was reduced over the years there until there was only E Tp based there (co-located with C Company 5th Bn Royal Irish Rangers). At the same time SHQ and D Tp were based in Belfast and F Tp in Larne.

The Sqn was then centrally based in Belfast, before moving first to Newtownards (occupying space created by the reduction of 102 AD Regt RA(V) to 206 Bty and being replaced, in turn, by A Coy RANGERS (now 2 R IRISH)), then Bangor (replacing 74 (AA) Sqn RE(V) and being replaced by 591 (Indep) Fd Sqn RE(V)) and finally Lisburn (being replaced by RNR (ex-HMS Caroline to be re-titled HMS Hibernia) before its drawdown.

With regards to the caubeen, officers worn by the embroidered badge. There was a roll of blue fabric obtained from the manufacturers years ago that was used to provide patches and create a small pouch that was sewn onto the caubeen. The badge was sewn onto the front of it and the hackle slipped into the top. If anyone is interested I can post pictures illustrating this.
Old 13-01-10, 12:34 AM

There was a roll of blue fabric obtained from the manufacturers years ago that was used to provide patches and create a small pouch that was sewn onto the caubeen. The badge was sewn onto the front of it and the hackle slipped into the top. If anyone is interested I can post pictures illustrating this.[/QUOTE]

Yes please I would be very interested in seeing this.

many thanks

John
Old 13-01-10, 12:53 AM

Some years ago I had a several letters from 40 Signal Regiment including photos of the band and a history of the regiment. They did in fact have a very good pipes and drums band and I am saddened to learn that it no longer remains. The members wore a Lovat Green piper jacket with Royal Signals buttons, an Ulster tartan kilt, an officers issue caubeen, light green hose tops with dark green tabs, Scotch-type buckle shoes, and plaid Ulster tartan on the left shoulder fastened with a Gaelic brooch. Femaile members of the band wore a similar unoform. Officers of the regiment as well as the RSM wore an Irish caubeen headdress with Royal Signals cloth badge and a Corps coloured hackle of white over blue. The officers also carried an Irish blackthorn stick. The Regimental motto is Excel takne from the Roman numerals for 40 Signal Regiment.
85 Signal Squadron was formed in 1947 as 107 (ULSTER) Independent Inf Bde Sig Sqn, retitled 302 Sig Sqn (Inf Bde Group) in 1961 and 85 Sig Sqn (V) in 1967 as part of 40 Sig Regt. In 1999 it was redesignated 85 (Ulster & Antrim Artillery) Signal Squadron.At the same time the Sqn which had previously been based at Belfast and Lurgan erlocated from Newtonards to Bangor. I dont know what happened to the Squadron after that date or if the sqn had any special dress distinctions from the Anrim Artilery or 74 Fld Sqn RE. (See page 184 185 of The Royal Corps of Signals Unit Histories of the Corps (1920-2001) and its Antecedents Cliff Lord and Graham Watson. Another book worth reading is An Account of the Territorials in Northern Ireland 1947-1978 by Col Gailey, Gillespie and Hassett. Its excellent and is 96 pages - few b and w photos too. No publisher or date but suspect 1979.
Rgds
Quicksilver