British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-10-16, 12:14 PM

Eric,

Nice to see you back on the Forum and for adding comments from someone who was there.

I had to add this photo to the thread as I think that you are on the front row second from the right and actually sitting next to Frank Kelly.

Regards

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 23-10-16, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesters View Post
Peter,

Lovely pictures. I notice that on either side of him are two pipers each ranking the same as him, either Pipe Majors or Drum Majors. I assume he must have had seniority.

regards
there is only one pipe major in a band(Joe Morrrisey)who is always on the right front rank if there are more than nine pipers he would be on his own right as the right marker would be ,the other two you mention are Bombardier Danny McCoy and far right you can just make out his shoulder is the Pipe Sergeant (cant recall his first name, surname was Saunders when i joined in 1955 he was the Pipe Major)who make up the front rank(four stripes upside down on forearm indicate appointed Rank of Drum or Pipe majors two stripes on the upper arm is a Rank of Bombardier Eq to Corporal in Infantry regts guy in front with Mace is Drum Major Frank Kelly hope this helps Regards Eric Fawcett
Old 23-10-16, 09:26 PM

Eric,

I am familiar with military rank and appointment badges, but if you look carefully as per my post, there are TWO more men with 4 inverted chevrons on their lower arms.

One is Frank, one is the Pipe Major, so who is the 3rd?

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 23-10-16, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brydon View Post
Eric,

Nice to see you back on the Forum and for adding comments from someone who was there.

I had to add this photo to the thread as I think that you are on the front row second from the right and actually sitting next to Frank Kelly.

Regards

Peter

Hi Peter yes thats me next to Frank this wasnt just a picture its a memory of a bunch of wonderful people with a common interest, and as good as they were on Parade the talent that was also in them off Parade was paramount making ones own entertainment can not be duplicated by the way in the forum you was enqiuring about regimental silver i have a booklet of the regimental silver room of woolwich barracks as i have no one to give it to you will be a fine candidate if you want it i have to root it out as i moved last year it is in a box as soon as i locate it its yours best Regards Eric
Old 23-10-16, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Peter,

Lovely pictures. I notice that on either side of him are two pipers each ranking the same as him, either Pipe Majors or Drum Majors. I assume he must have had seniority.

regards
sorry for the misinformation my pc didnt show the full picture i have it now the piper on the far right is Saunders this was i believe his last St Patrick's Parade the piper nearest is Joe Morrisey the senior Rank as i said before he was pipe major when i joined as a boy drummer i believe he went to another Band didnt mean to offend about the Ranks hope this helps Eric
Old 24-10-16, 09:29 AM

Eric,

No offence taken, just wanting to clear things up.
Was Saunders the 'outgoing' Pipe Major on this parade hence the reason there were 2 of them?

regards

Manchester Regiment Collector
Rank, Prize & Trade Badges
British & Commonwealth Artillery Badges
Old 24-10-16, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Not sure what this photo is all about but the lady is a member of the successor R.A. unit to the Liverpool Rifles as evidenced by her arm badge. The men are wearing cloth Royal Artillery shoulder titles.

P.B.

from left to right Drum Major Frank Kelly the next two were Battery Sergeant Majors(cant recall names) from Liverpool irish 626 RA the last one i believe to be one of the Kelly's he was Sergeant Major of the Cadet Force in Stafford st cant recall what they were recieving
Old 24-10-16, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Eric,

No offence taken, just wanting to clear things up.
Was Saunders the 'outgoing' Pipe Major on this parade hence the reason there were 2 of them?

regards
Yes i have a feeling he went to the Liverpool Scottish i went into Royal Navy to escape conscription (Family Tradition) for three years when i came out i rejoined by this time the regiment had amalgamated to 470.RATA at Aigburth Rd Joe Morrisey Pipe Major and Frank Kelly Drum Major never heard much about him after that
Old 24-10-16, 06:50 PM

Once again Eric, thanks.

Were the cadets in Stafford Street affiliated to the Liverpool Irish ?

Peter

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 24-10-16, 07:26 PM

Hi Peter
Sorry it has taken me so long to respond to the thread, we have been away on a short break - it is great you got the album.
Many thanks for showing the image (Post 4 of this thread) of the historic pipe banners. You have mentioned the Vernon Sangster legacy previously - it is great to see the banners in use, commemorating the old historic Irish regiments.

I am very pleased you got it all...

It is great that this thread breathes life into the photographs, and that members can add such insights into the images.

Mike

Last edited by Mike B; 24-10-16 at 07:32 PM.
Old 25-10-16, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric fawcett View Post
Hi Peter yes thats me next to Frank this wasnt just a picture its a memory of a bunch of wonderful people with a common interest, and as good as they were on Parade the talent that was also in them off Parade was paramount making ones own entertainment can not be duplicated by the way in the forum you was enqiuring about regimental silver i have a booklet of the regimental silver room of woolwich barracks as i have no one to give it to you will be a fine candidate if you want it i have to root it out as i moved last year it is in a box as soon as i locate it its yours best Regards Eric
Peter this Photo is a better quality than the copy i sent to you would you know how to down load it or can you send me a EMail copy of it also if you want me to send you the silver room catalog of Woolwich Brks i don't have your Ad any more Regards Eric
Old 27-10-16, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Once again Eric, thanks.

Were the cadets in Stafford Street affiliated to the Liverpool Irish ?

Peter
yes they were affiliated to 626 R,A T,A my self and two Pals were in the cadets when the Territorial Army were allowed Boy Soldiers after a medical we went into the band Mike and Dave played pipes i went as a drummer and we got paid for it hope this helps
i also got mixed up with the picture of the band in Shaw st
Front Row is Evan Mcrea Bdr Danny Mcoy , PM Bill Sauders PM Joe Morissey
I believe the reason we had these guys was after National Service on discharge there was a commitment of so many Camps and so many Drills per month as the Irish were the only pipe band at the time they chose to serve in the Irish Evan MCrea and Saunders went to the Scottish when they formed up and brought them up to competative sds hope this helps Eric