British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Anodised Aluminium Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-03-15, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engr9266 View Post
Cheers Mike, I always get my island mixed up Guernsey, Alderney...
Back in 1982 I ended up in the south atlantic thinking I was going to Scotland.....
Your a bad lad Jerry.
Ive been try to find a lead on a gold and silver ano Alderney for a while. if they are suspended then there aren't any going to appear ,unless they are already in circulation.
Old 12-03-15, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
Alan,
As you say each to their own! I'm not entirely sure the Herts & Beds Yeo was a soley "Cadet" item of insignia? I'm pretty sure it was worn for a brief period in the mid to late 60's by the TA Bty before they switched to RA Cap Badges? It may have been perpetuated by a cadet unit after that?

I'm sure Chris will confirm the rarity of these badges, and as I said a bargain I have two and would not let either of them go for less than £250. I think it is less a case of ignorance and more shrewdness. Buying the right anodised badges for the right price is a pure and simple investment, they, as in the case of this particular badge are becoming increasingly scarce as wise collectors snap them up, they are very difficult to copy and finding one undamaged with its antlers intact is quite a coup!

Best Regards

Andy
Hi Andy,

Yes, I would consider them to be quite scarce and went for a steal.

I can't get into the authorisation details from my book at the mo as I am currently in Australia but appendix 4 will give all the facts that anyone needs on each of ceejay's badges just sold on eBay.

Remember though that my book deals with A/A cap badges that were officially authorised for issue. I does not deal with the actual physical issue or wearing of such items as there is very little offical information on this subject.

Regards

Chris
Old 12-03-15, 07:00 PM

Regarding these badges being scarce/quite scarce/rarity in the last 6 months I have seen 3 for sale and suspect that I have missed others as a/a badges is just 1 branch of my collecting I recently purchased a royal wilts militia officers Albert shako plate 1844 [wilts being my main interest] for as per this post a steal I have been collecting Wilts for 42 years and this is the only items I have heard of for sale -main dealers/collector contacts let my know if they have items or any are being sold in auctions Where would you place this on your definition of scarce/rare
David
Old 12-03-15, 08:43 PM

I have very little knowledge of older badges pre 1950. So I couldn't possibly say.
With regards to a/a badges being scarce/rare etc. One of the rarest has to the Devon Rifle Volunteers badge, documentary proof exists that there were only ever 6 samples produced. So you have a maximum of 6 in collections worldwide.
There could well be other a/a badges that got as far as the sample stage and were then not produced especially when George 6th died and the crown changed. Its just that nobody knows about them. Weve seen posts with regards fantasy items that people say exist or don't, you can never say never,i always believed that the 4th QOH never had an a/a badge until one appeared a few years ago. I haven't heard of one for sale or anything since then.
It is quiet possible that theres a box of badges sat in a store gathering dust somewhere that we as collectors believe doesn't actually exist. Or that although produced all examples of the badge no longer exist.
Old 14-03-15, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49lassiepen View Post
Regarding these badges being scarce/quite scarce/rarity in the last 6 months I have seen 3 for sale and suspect that I have missed others as a/a badges is just 1 branch of my collecting I recently purchased a royal wilts militia officers Albert shako plate 1844 [wilts being my main interest] for as per this post a steal I have been collecting Wilts for 42 years and this is the only items I have heard of for sale -main dealers/collector contacts let my know if they have items or any are being sold in auctions Where would you place this on your definition of scarce/rare
David
Hi David,

As per Mike - I have no idea about pre 1950's badges. However, all the badges that cejay had on eBay would be considered scare/rare by A/A collectors. If you are not in that market then you may well disagree if you compare non A/A with A/A but for those of us who concentrate on post 1950's A/A items such pieces are very desirable.

Mike also comments on the Devon Rifle Volunteers example that he has. Again, there are probably only a few, as he writes, in existance. Quite a few of the TAVR III A/A badges, in the 1960's, were taken to sample stage only before contracts were cancelled and where between only six to around 15 items may have been created. Of these, many would have gone to the pattern cards and the rest probably thrown away. If you collect such pieces then you are in a very rare area indeed.

Regards

Chris
Old 14-03-15, 08:44 AM

Theres a couple of badges that i want to mention ,somebody may be able to throw some information in about them. Or they could sort of half fall into the category that Chris mentions of sample,pattern card then bin,except the fitting was changed.
The pattern card held by the IWM for the 10th GR hat badge states that the badge is fitted with lugs . Now ive spoken to a large number of collectors ref this ,same answer slider examples but no lugged version.
Another the same is the Gloucestershire Hussars,except there are two cards.One says band the other says soldiers. Interestingly the one marked band has a slider ,the soldiers has lugs.Again nobody seems to have a lugged version in there collection.
Old 29-03-15, 05:40 PM

Looks like someone got themselves a bargain...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/THE-HERTFO...vip=true&rt=nc
Old 29-03-15, 09:29 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Your a bad lad Jerry.
Ive been try to find a lead on a gold and silver ano Alderney for a while. if they are suspended then there aren't any going to appear ,unless they are already in circulation.
Images FYI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg R Alderney Militia - G&S.jpg (84.9 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg R Alderney Militia - 02, Reverse.jpg (74.0 KB, 28 views)
Old 30-03-15, 07:09 AM

I found one William
Old 18-04-15, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3513681398...84.m1435.l2649

I don't know if people were watching this but it shows that genuine quality items still command a good price.
Old 19-04-15, 08:01 AM

Always been a popular badge Alan
Old 06-08-15, 10:42 AM

Was there a makers mark on the slider, of the Herts & Beds yeo A/A badge?
Thanks.
Old 06-08-15, 11:11 AM
Super Moderator

It was 3 months ago so i cannot remmeber which one.
Old 06-08-15, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rayner View Post
Was there a makers mark on the slider, of the Herts & Beds yeo A/A badge?
Thanks.
Most likely to be the early Smith and Wright sliderTerry. I cant recall seeing another makers mark or a blank .
Old 06-08-15, 01:12 PM

Thanks Mike,
I have a Smith & Wright A/A badge to the Herts & Beds yeo, I just wondered if there was a another maker.
Many thanks for your reply.
Regards Terry