British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-06-08, 06:28 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....
Question Royal Artillery Gun Badge Info

I "found" this in my odds and sods box and wonder whether anyone help me identify who used this badge - apart from an RA officer.
Its 6mm x 47mm. Is in gilt. The wheel is attached by 2 (copper?) wires. It has a very short lug at the top and a very short blade at the bottom.
My stepfather was a WOI in the RA - so I assume that its not one his.
It was in a bag with some large and small KC buttons. The badge I want to keep, but if someone wants the buttons, pls let me know. If they are worth exchanging rather than giving away, it would be nice to know.
They are all marked either:- PITT & CO, 31 MADDOX STREET, LONDON.W. ; HOBSON & SONS LEXINGTON ST; FIRMIN LONDON; or JR GAUNT - x2 at 24.5mm, x2 at 23.6mm & x1 at 16.7mm. One of the 23.6mm is missing its back loop.

Rgds, David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LargeRA_FrontGilt.jpg (95.9 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg LargeRA_BackGilt.jpg (92.0 KB, 56 views)
Old 26-06-08, 06:36 PM

Possibly for the Black Leather pouch worn with the gold lace Shoulder belt.
Old 26-06-08, 06:43 PM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54Bty View Post
Possibly for the Black Leather pouch worn with the gold lace Shoulder belt.
Thanks for the info.
Are the buttons any good to you? d
Old 26-06-08, 06:57 PM
peter616

Dave, the Royal Artillery officers gilt badge you have posted is a nice, early, Edwardian officers cap badge. This badge with fittings, lug in the crown & blade at the bottom, is typical of that period.
Peter
Old 26-06-08, 07:03 PM
David Douglas

Default Royal Artillery, etc.

I agree entirely with Peter. I have one of these on a cap - the bottom 'spike' is positioned through a hole in the cap above peak centre and the badge locked into place with a split pin behind the sweat band. Not a common form of fixing so well worth a place in anyone's RA collection. Well found. David
Old 26-06-08, 07:44 PM

Smile RA Badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Douglas View Post
I agree entirely with Peter. I have one of these on a cap - the bottom 'spike' is positioned through a hole in the cap above peak centre and the badge locked into place with a split pin behind the sweat band. Not a common form of fixing so well worth a place in anyone's RA collection. Well found. David
Thanks guys. Offer still stands on the buttons - sounds like I talking to myself
- must be getting old...

Rgds, david
Old 26-06-08, 08:42 PM

It is said that we learn something everyday, the above is an example. I have never come across this method of fixing or read about it anywhere, which is why I thought of the pouch. Do either of you have a reference for it. I will now have to check every cap I see.
Old 26-06-08, 10:25 PM
David Douglas

Default RA etc.

I do not recall seeing an officers' service dress badge with this method of fixing which, I believe, emphasises the point made earlier about them being quite early Edwardian - probably pre 1905. The Royal Artillery officers' blue cap I have is certainly of that era - looking more like a bus conductor's cap than a modern blue cap ! Regards. David
Old 27-06-08, 06:49 AM

Default RA badge

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Douglas View Post
I do not recall seeing an officers' service dress badge with this method of fixing which, I believe, emphasises the point made earlier about them being quite early Edwardian - probably pre 1905. The Royal Artillery officers' blue cap I have is certainly of that era - looking more like a bus conductor's cap than a modern blue cap ! Regards. David
David, Do you want a close up of the bottom of the badge at the back?
Rgds, david