British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Formation Signs and Patches

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-01-21, 02:21 PM

Default RASC VEHICLE SIGNS

Hi Folks

I have just created a temporary reference album of some RASC Vehicle Signs.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...p?albumid=4253

I spotted these on ebay some time ago and got quite excited as I had never seen them before, as far as I can gather they all came from a booklet produced (I think) by 21st Army Group.

I contacted the seller for more information and told him it was a shame they were all being sold individually as their historical value was in them being kept together as a historical reference book. He said he had many more and that they all needed sorting out.
I made him an offer for the whole lot but he said he would try his luck on eBay but did put a "Buy it Now" option on after we spoke (for about a fiver each)

It maybe that some of you are already aware of these or maybe even have the booklet. I just thought some of the designs were fabulous as so much of their time (especially the Disney ones)

I sought permission from the seller to show the images on here before they are all split up in return for putting a link in to his page. (I have no knowledge of this dealer other than my messages re these cards)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114548614750?ul_noapp=true

Gutted they will all be split up. But thats life I suppose.

Would love to hear members views on these and what they are from if I am wrong, would love to see the intact version.

Regards
Sean
Old 11-01-21, 11:14 PM

Thanks Sean. It would be nice to think these are being recorded for posterity by some interested individual.

Keith
Old 12-01-21, 06:49 AM

Hi Sean

Years ago the late forum member John Forsey "blackpowder44" loaned me his copy which I scanned, I have posted odd relevant images in previous threads but you are right it deserves an album.

His copy had 91 different Companies shown, here is the cover, I will send you any you are missing if you want.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1.jpg (68.4 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg Image93.jpg (50.9 KB, 17 views)
Old 12-01-21, 07:57 AM

Rob that would be great, it would be great for the album to be a resource for members
Regards
Sean
Old 12-01-21, 09:04 PM

Hello Sean,
They would have been attached to a flip card (booklet), which would have been held by the Comd RASC HQ. Then only that specific card need to be shown would be shown to the relevant Comd of that specific unit.
That is about the same amount of cards that i have buddy. I do have a few more, which are in photo images, but they are very hard to find.
I would not have bought any of them, as the guy wants too much for them, so he can go take a running jump. Sell the bo9klet complete, yes, but page by page ??? Leech speings to mind.

There is a good book out there, which only covers WW1 and it is by Rod Dux & Mike Hibberd, who are members on the forum, it's called;

British & Dominion Formation
& Unit Vehicle Signage
1914-1918

It will give you a heads up on the path you will be travelling down.

Also, if i am correct, the RLC Museum has an original copy of the book of the WW2 Formation signs you have above. I believe that they also hold a database with quite a few others as well.

There is then the following signs to find;
UK/Wales, NI, Scotland
Iceland
Middle East
Palestine
Africa
India
Far East
Japan
USA
On top of that you also have to find,

Fleet Maritime
Air Despatch
Airborne
Tk Tpr Units

Basically the RASC units were stationed worldwide, so each area of operations would hold its own

You can contact the RLC Museum and arrange a meeting so as to list their unit collections and take note of the images.

This is a massive task you are undertaking, it is a very complex and difficult avenue to approach, so I wish you good luck.
Any signs woth a DUCK image was from DUKW units, Amphibious RASC

GOOD LUCK SEAN

Ken (the Fatboy)
Old 12-01-21, 09:15 PM

Hi Ken
Thanks for the info, but I'm not undertaking anything, vehicle signs are not my thing, just stumbled across this and thought it was a shame they were being split and I had never come across them before. I bought the Air Despatch one out of curiosity. I know vehicle signs are a whole area of their own. I am interested in anything RASC hence why these caught my eye,
The album I created from this dealers images was for the benefit of others and to see what info might be thrown up about them from fellow members.
I would ask for your help in taking a look at my RASC album and point out any glaring errors, I will be adding more badges tomorrow. Also I put up a query about a potential Drum majors sash badge and would appreciate your views.
Cheers
Sean
Old 12-01-21, 09:25 PM

Hello Sean,

I have sent a couple of friends a question about the sash badge, but still nothing has come back just yet, so bare with me at the moment.
I must say though it looks alot like a sash badge, but i would wait for a more direct answer from a drum major i know, from the 1970's and 80's.

I shall have a look at your albums now 😊😊

Chat soon 😁😁

Ken
Old 12-01-21, 09:31 PM

Coincidentally Ken I was looking through David Kellocks book and he has a picture of an RCT sash badge which has the same needing around the edge. So I'm hopeful
Old 13-01-21, 11:36 PM

Thanks for putting up the album, Sean. A great set of signs from a rare source.
Old 24-01-21, 11:01 AM

Hi Sean,
I have done the same as you in making a copy of the signs and have added 11 more RASC signs that were not in the book. I am going to make/print a hard back book to keep them in. I all so have some original Veh Marking booklets 1941 and 1943 and thats in the post to me, Veh Markings Inda 1945
Keith
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vehicle marking page 1 and 8 . 1941 front cover.jpg (49.5 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg vehicle marking 1943 front cover.jpg (58.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg veh markings india.jpg (38.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg veh markings cover india.jpg (38.2 KB, 19 views)
Old 24-01-21, 03:01 PM

The books look fascinating, never come across them before.
Regards
Sean
Old 24-01-21, 07:16 PM

Here are some that are not in the book and are RASC. There are a few more i could put up if you want.
Keith
Old 25-01-21, 06:23 PM

I would very much like to see scans of all three books please.

Rob
Old 25-01-21, 06:30 PM

Barrie Morris produced a booklet for RASC signs used in North Africa, I'll put up the details when Im home
Regards
Sean

Last edited by sapper533; 26-01-21 at 04:17 PM.