British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-01-21, 04:39 AM

Default I know This is a Dumb Question...

...but I've not been able to find the answer through my researching it. What is the rectangular patch that British army soldiers wore on the center of the chest of their combat uniform called? I am referring tot he patch that has a flag, blood type, name or initials and serial number I guess.

Thanks for helping me out here!!!

Terry
Old 06-01-21, 05:34 AM

Terry, is your question in relation to modern plate carrier/body armour patches similar to this example? If so, give “zap” patches a Google.

C062C30D-0223-4A7C-A58E-2E6452172C8C.jpg

Best regards,
Jay
Old 06-01-21, 12:01 PM

The 'zap' refers to the 'zap number' which is made up of the first two letters of the surname followed by the last four characters of the service number.

The idea being that if someone is 'zapped' (i.e. killed or wounded) their details can be passed over the radio net in a relatively secure manner. Its actually relatively easy to work back from a zap number to a full service number and hence to a full name and parent unit (particularly for army officers, whose details are given in full in the London Gazette) so in the longer term its actually far from secure if the adversary has any kind of sigint capability. This is why units with 'personnel prone to capture' use individual call signs instead.
Old 06-01-21, 03:59 PM

Thank you gentlemen for the information!!! That is indeed exactly what I was asking about, and never would have guessed that as the name, but fully understand it.

Terry
Old 06-01-21, 04:45 PM

Hello Terry, Here is one I had made up for myself.
Jerry
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0001.jpg (61.5 KB, 34 views)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 06-01-21, 07:07 PM

Thanks Jerry, VERY cool! I am wanting to have one made up like Lacey Turner, as Molly Dawes, wore in the first season of "Our Girl". Only because I truly like the sense of reality that story shows of a young girl entering the army and serving in a combat zone.

Terry