British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-10-20, 12:05 PM

Default ? 5th Lancers

Hi, not tank related but came in with some other bits. I assume it is right but would just like some confirmation or otherwise, thanks in advance Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05954.jpg (48.6 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05955.jpg (27.2 KB, 102 views)
Old 12-10-20, 12:51 PM

Looks good to me .
Tony.
Old 12-10-20, 12:55 PM

Hi Tony, thank you for your reply, Mike
Old 12-10-20, 12:57 PM

Agreed and actually worn too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearnaught View Post
Hi, not tank related but came in with some other bits. I assume it is right but would just like some confirmation or otherwise, thanks in advance Mike
Old 17-11-20, 03:59 PM

It looks like a good one to me as well.
However, having collected infantry badges since the mid '70s I have only comparitively recently extended my interest to the cavalry units.

This particulr regiment has been the source of confusion to me as far as their cap badges go as there seems to be little good info around (at least where I have looked).
There seem to be many "opinions" as to what is correct and what isn't concerning fixings and general manufacturing styles. For instance I have heard "experts" insist that a flat back is indicative of a fake yet very credible sources also argue the opposite. I just can't find a convincing explanation to cover the different variations from Victorian to WWI to WWII and post war. I have also seen prices varying from sensible to ridiculous for what appear to be the same variant. I think I know the difference but I just can't substantiate it!

I can't think of another badge that has been so difficult to quantify, or is it just me?

So, for starters I wonder if somebody could please give me some opinion on this one?

Regards

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5RL.flatback.obv.reduced.jpg (60.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 5RL.flatback.rev.reduced.jpg (56.7 KB, 55 views)
Old 17-11-20, 04:10 PM

It’s a fake. The poor seeding, rounded lettering, hollow leaves and method of construction are all wrong.
Old 17-11-20, 06:42 PM

Thanks Luke, that is pretty much where I was at with this. Can you shed light on the variations / time-line at all?

Regards

Mark
Old 17-11-20, 07:48 PM

The looped badges are Victorian/Edwardian-era examples.Genuine OR badges from this period were die stamped, the metal gauge should be quite thick, and with braze hole construction behind the WM pennants and 5 as per mine attached.

I do not recall ever seeing a 5L on the early (1903-5) long slider.

From 1906 the short slider was introduced as per the genuine badge shown in post #1. Again these were die stamped with braze holes etc. displaying construction and quality typical to the period.

The badge in this thread https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...kinson+lancers I regard as a WW1 variation as an example is present in the first 1969 edition of F. Wilkinson’s book ‘Badges of the British Army 1820 - Present’ . The publication is generally considered pre-fake flood and many badges in the book appear to date to WW1 era. This badge is as ‘rough’ as it got for the 5L in my belief.

Badges like yours in post #5 with the cast backs without braze holes are wrong. Other clues to it originating from a fake die are as I mentioned the laurels being just outlines, coarse seeding, rounded ToysRus lettering.

Hope that helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 900B7923-62E8-4B1E-8A49-9B8E39500863.jpeg (34.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpeg F75A8BC4-B96C-4EF2-BB5E-8E1437B819EE.jpeg (33.2 KB, 43 views)
Old 17-11-20, 08:07 PM

Thank you Luke. Yes that is the kind of info I was after.

As I say, I have collected British cap badges for rather a long time but cavalry was not initially my focus yet I don't really know why I have been so confused by this particular badge!

Regards

Mark
Old 18-11-20, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
It’s a fake. The poor seeding, rounded lettering, hollow leaves and method of construction are all wrong.
To add to Luke's comments, the crimp appears more like somebody has had a go at it with a hacksaw to create a fake crimp.
Old 18-11-20, 08:04 AM

I think that there is a great deal of good information upon this site regarding these particular badges, the "flat back" you mention is not something you would expect to see in the case of the rankers cap badge and the example you show is completely spurious, with the material and manufacture being modern and post dating the period the regiment was actually extant.
I would get your money back if this was sold to you as original, if I were you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
It looks like a good one to me as well.
However, having collected infantry badges since the mid '70s I have only comparitively recently extended my interest to the cavalry units.

This particulr regiment has been the source of confusion to me as far as their cap badges go as there seems to be little good info around (at least where I have looked).
There seem to be many "opinions" as to what is correct and what isn't concerning fixings and general manufacturing styles. For instance I have heard "experts" insist that a flat back is indicative of a fake yet very credible sources also argue the opposite. I just can't find a convincing explanation to cover the different variations from Victorian to WWI to WWII and post war. I have also seen prices varying from sensible to ridiculous for what appear to be the same variant. I think I know the difference but I just can't substantiate it!

I can't think of another badge that has been so difficult to quantify, or is it just me?

So, for starters I wonder if somebody could please give me some opinion on this one?

Regards

Mark