British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 05-12-09, 08:38 PM

Default Rank chevron

Not to nit-pick, but isn't the rank chevron post war? From what I understand from Bill A's recent explanation on some RCAF chevrons, war time chevrons are of a multi-piece construction, i.e. seperate chevrons stiched to a backing as opposed to post war chevrons being one piece?
Old 05-12-09, 11:22 PM

Default Rank Chevrons and Equipment

Yes, the rank chevrons are post-WWII and the water-bottle and cup may be as well, although without better images of the latter two, I cannot tell for sure.
Old 05-12-09, 11:24 PM

Default Entrenching Tool

The Entrenching Tool Helve is also very late war, the one without the bayonet fitting should be used.
Old 06-12-09, 12:11 AM

Default 1937 Pattern Web

These are the two items that you want, and they are correct for the complete WWII period.

Old 06-12-09, 04:03 AM

Rank chevrons during the war were of the type with each chevron applied separately up until 44 or 45 when they began to manufacture them in one piece with the appropriate number of chevrons. These single piece rank badges differ from the post war badges in that they have a thin grey line separating each chevron and they are slightly larger than the post war badges. The rank badges shown on the tunic above are indeed post war.

The couple of original badged PPCLI tunics that I have seen had the titles sewn right at the seam.
Old 06-12-09, 01:50 PM

Default Sergeant Chevrons

Here is what the late WWII Canadian Sgt's chevrons look like.

Old 06-12-09, 04:12 PM

Ed, when you say late WWII, do you know when these started being issued?
Thank you.
Old 06-12-09, 04:19 PM

Default Sgt's Chevrons

Yes, I am specualting that they were issued in the 1945 time period.
Old 06-12-09, 05:44 PM

According to "Dressed to Kill" the single piece rank badges began to be issued early 1945.
Old 06-12-09, 06:34 PM

You guys have sharp eyes!

Keep in mind, I am just a small-time collector. I am not trying to necessarily date-match everything. I just thought I would put some stuff together for some cool pictures.

I appreciate the feedback on the rank chevrons. These were sold to me as WW2 correct. If they are indeed post-war, it is easy enough to remove them. I do want the badging on the tunic to be correct. Off they come (until I find a correct pair)!

The cup is indeed post war (1952). I am not willing to pay the prices the WW2 dated cups command.

The water bottle carrier is dated 1943, but there is no date on the water bottle. Again - good enough for me.

The entrenching tool has 2 dates. The steel head is dated 1944 and the shaft is dated 1945. Both wartime dated, so I am happy to have them as part of my collection. The E-tool is displayed on a shelf seperate from my tunic, so it doesn't really bother me if it is "late war".

In any case, thanks for all the input. My main concern here was getting the battle dress set up properly. Your help with the titles and chevrons is appreciated!
Old 06-12-09, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstorey View Post
Yes, the rank chevrons are post-WWII and the water-bottle and cup may be as well, although without better images of the latter two, I cannot tell for sure.
How can I determine if the water bottle is WW2 era and not post-war? I have never seen one with a date marked on it.
Old 06-12-09, 07:05 PM

I removed the rank chevrons and took some more pictures. I have to say, I actually prefer the look without the rank chevrons (the red formation patch and shoulder title stand out more this way). I don't think I am going to bother searching for correct rank chevrons. I think I will just leave the tunic as is.

Here are some updated pictures. The first couple show the tunic on its own. The last two show it with the P37 web gear. This is how I plan to display it (albeit in my study and not on the dining room table!). I still need to lightly steam it to get the wrinkles out. I don't display it with the cup, e-tool, etc. as the mannequin is backed up against the wall and you wouldn't see them anyways.

Thanks again for the advice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5312.jpg (40.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5313.jpg (37.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5301.jpg (34.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5304.jpg (38.2 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by ledfut; 06-12-09 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-12-09, 09:57 PM

Default Replecing Kit

'Small time' collector or not, why go to all the trouble to get the BD Tunic and badges correct and then not care about the equipment? Anyway, replacing the water bottle and the entrenching tool helve is not all that difficult. The correct helve should run you about $25.00 and there have been quite a few of them turning up for sale in Toronto area recently. Correct water bottles may be a little harder to find, few are dated but take note of the colour of the felt covering and the colour of the enamel bottle (blue) in the one that I posted and if you find one like that you will be okay. Water bottles go by mark designation, with Mk V and Mk VI being the ones you will see in use in WWII. Yours appears to be a Mk VII (with brownish/greenish enamel) which shows up with WWII dated carriers but these water bottles are post-WWII British. There are lots of the Mk VIIs and they show up everywhere as WWII but they are not, cost of a WWII water bottle, again about $20.00.

I'd dump the post-WWII cup, you really do not need it, and be suspecious of any being sold from WWII as they are near impossible to find.

You really should mark your made up tunic somehow so that when it passes from your collection to someone else's it does not gain the cachet of an 'original' badged BD tunic.

Nice uniform set-up, happy hunting.
Old 06-12-09, 10:36 PM

Quote:
'Small time' collector or not, why go to all the trouble to get the BD Tunic and badges correct and then not care about the equipment?
I do care about the equipment (perhaps just not to the same extent as you might)! I recognize you as being one of the foremost collector's in the country, and I definitely value your opinion! Your advice is invaluable to a "beginner" like myself.

My e-tool helve is war-time dated (1945) and in beautiful condition. I will keep it, but I will keep an eye open for an early war example to go with it. The cup didn't cost me much, so I will keep it as well. Besides - it is Korean War dated, and I don't mind having some Korean War dated items in my small collection. That part of our history needs to be preserved as well.

As for the water bottle, I will try to find one that is WW2 correct, as it will be displayed with my BD tunic. Thanks for the tips on finding one that is correct!

Don't worry - I have already marked the tunic. If it passes to somebody else, it is identified as having non-original badging.

Last edited by ledfut; 07-12-09 at 01:17 AM.
Old 06-12-09, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Correct water bottles may be a little harder to find, few are dated but take note of the colour of the felt covering and the colour of the enamel bottle (blue) in the one that I posted and if you find one like that you will be okay. Water bottles go by mark designation, with Mk V and Mk VI being the ones you will see in use in WWII. Yours appears to be a Mk VII (with brownish/greenish enamel) which shows up with WWII dated carriers but these water bottles are post-WWII British. There are lots of the Mk VIIs and they show up everywhere as WWII but they are not, cost of a WWII water bottle, again about $20.00.
I have seen a bunch of blue water bottles for sale, listed as RAF water bottles. I believe they have a slightly different colour of felt covering (a bluish grey shade). I do know where I can pick up a nice, correct water bottle - blue enamel with the proper olive drab cover. I would have bought it earlier, but I did not know if it was correct or not. Thanks again for the tip!

Last edited by ledfut; 07-12-09 at 12:39 AM.