British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 13-03-14, 05:08 PM

Default Midland Regiment metal shoulder title

I just bought this Midland regiment shoulder title (curved) on ebay recently despite my misgivings. The only other Midland Regiment metal title I have ever seen was from the Canadiansoldiers.com website was the 2nd one (straight). Did the midland Regiment change their shoulder titles at any time from straight to curved, or visa versa?

I'm getting desperate to finish a shadow box of my Wife's Grandfather's WWII service and the only thing missing was a Midland Regiment shoulder title so I snagged up the first one I could find and only $10.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MidlandRegt.jpg (53.6 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg MidlandRegimentShoulder.jpg (2.3 KB, 23 views)
Old 24-01-16, 02:05 AM

It has been a while and thought I would restart this thread in hoping someone might know. Anyone?
Old 24-01-16, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

Hi fyrftr422. Could you post an image of the reverse of the curved titles? Mazeas only shows the straight pattern.
Old 21-02-16, 02:56 PM

Here is a closeup of the front and a shot of the rear of the emblem ... finally. Have to admit, never seen a shoulder emblem with the pins soldered on the back like that, usually just the eye holes with the cotter pins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MidlandRegt1.jpg (43.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg midlandR 002.jpg (30.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 21-02-16, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Unusual shoulder titles. Curved titles are not listed in Mazeas. That isn't conclusive evidence of anything. Several errors have been found in his reference.
Old 22-02-16, 01:17 PM

I had thought maybe they were part of a British Divisional shoulder title. The South and North Midland Divisions were present in both World Wards and I have seen pics of them online from time to time but they had either the full name or at least the 'S' or 'N' initial before Midland.

But the script (font) is slightly different from mine and much closer to that of the straight title, and mine shows no signs of being separated from other letters.

That and Divisional formations did not usually have shoulder title, more of a smaller unit designation, but not always, of course.
Old 22-02-16, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Morning. It would not be a formation sign. Shoulder titles were for battalions or regiments. The formation sign was usually a piece of fabric sewn on the sleeve, not on the shoulder strap.
Old 22-02-16, 02:41 PM

My thoughts exactly.

Here are a couple shots of the N and S Midland titles I did find, but certainly not in anyway similar of the curved one I found and bought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 43541-10002.jpg (33.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 43541-10003.jpg (8.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 22-02-16, 02:45 PM

I'm hoping to get to the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment museum in Belleville in the coming weeks to give them a copy of my Grandfather's service file due to his militia service with the 2nd Bat. Midland Regiment (which amalgamated with the Hasty P's in '54) and his brief time where he was assigned to the Hasty P's for the CAPF (Canadian Army Pacific Force).

Maybe they can shed some light into this Midland Regiment shoulder title question.
Old 22-02-16, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

The T/RAMC/MIDLAND titles are for Territorial Army units of the Royal Army Medical Corps. Perhaps some of the Brit members can shed some light on the S MIDLAND and N MIDLAND designations.