British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-04-09, 06:39 PM

Default b coy orders group

Hi Bill....I crosschecked that photo and the date is correct...It was taken during a "B" coy orders group just before the Regt left Sicily for the Italy Invasion.The wear of the beret was common, with the exception of Galloway who was rarely photographed out of his ubiquitis Forage cap,among all OFFICERS from the invasion of Sicily on.I don;t think they were issue items though as I have a wartime RCR officers beret and it is an English made Burberry private purchase item of high quality.I,m assuming the officers bought these themselves.Here is a shot of DCO Billy Pope and Col Crowe taken only days before their deaths in July 1943 in Sicily.Billy was killed a day or so later(July18/43) by machine gun fire while he fired Piat bombs he forgot to arm at a MkIV, or so the story goes and Col Crowe killed with his 2 signallers while on patrol.(July 24 /43).There are many photos showing the officers of The RCR in Sicily wearing berets.Check out the title on Col Crowe(left in the photo and tell me what you think. 2nd type?
Thanks Dwayne for that info...I will find the clipping you sent me...wonderful work there on your part.Nice to finally know that these 2nd type flashes were worn.Now we need to decide what actual types of these slanted 2nd patterns are wartime and which aren't.looks like Dwayne and Bill have good examples in hand.Also like Bill says,why and when were they made?I'm not sure there was a definative change,as photos show both being worn and it appears the 1st type continued to be manufactured for the duration of the war.Perhaps different makers and Canadian made versus English patterns?Also there is the IODE angle again...like Bill says ,much to learn....thanks guys..M.