British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-12-14, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator

To echo Alan, there are several firsts here. The badge IS NOT Canadain made with the Guant marking and the manufacturing characteristics. The file marks are incidental and though present do not really constitute proof of much. The marks on the back of the 1 Can Para were not filings, they were either part of the mold or the cooling rack from what I have been led to understand. This badge was not made to Canadian practices. There is only one plastic badge maker of record in Canada during the SWW and the construction of the POWR certainly appears to be the British manufacturing style. There are no other known examples of the same badge on record.

Last edited by Bill A; 18-12-14 at 12:21 AM.
Old 18-12-14, 03:42 AM

Neither its white chocolate disguised as a plastic bronze OSD
Old 18-12-14, 10:45 AM

100% Metal Bronzed OSD for sure

- Plastic badges are cast in a mould, and the blades inserted into the badge before setting not soldered or brazed. Blades would be thinner with rounded edges not pointed.

Do not beleave everything a seller tells you, and examine the pictures particularly the rear.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 18-12-14, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Alex Rice has posted an image of a plastic Canadian Army Cadets badge. I had forgot that the Army Cadets also had an issue of the plastic badges. Alex's images show the reverse type of markings found on Canadian made plastic badges. http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ad.php?t=43491
Old 18-12-14, 04:14 PM

Default POWR

Another unknown variation of a cap badge that many collectors unaware exist, a brown plastic CTTC cap badge, almost the same design as the gold plastic cap badge with molded lugs but in brown.

Why do these unknown cap badges exist, perhaps a short production run, perhaps a corps or regiment ordered a small quantity, private purchase? My point is that there are cap badges out there that are unexplained and that is what makes collecting and researching this hobby interesting in my opinion.

I have examples in my collection that are unexplained, I think these are pieces are more treasured to me than the high end pieces like 1CANPARA, etc..

Unfortunately I do not have the PWOR cap badge in hand to examine it, the seller is a well-known respected seller of Canadian militaria and medals with over 50 years combined experience.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/CANADA-Cdn-Te...item54164a8148

Pictures courtesy Chris Brooker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CTTC.jpg (23.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg CTTC1.jpg (14.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 18-12-14, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Mike, This CTTC badge is not as much a mystery. Archive records note the CTTC badge was produced in plastic. This example is the classic Cdn construction as seen by the reverse. The colours used for Canadian plastic badges were dark chocolate colour and bronze. Bronze was the colour chosen for the badge after trial samples were produced.
Old 18-12-14, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator

The trial plastic badges in Canada included the RCA, RCCS, RCASC, RCOC. Production runs were made for the CTTC, Canadian Parachute Corps, Garrison Battalion and Army Cadets.
Old 15-01-15, 02:43 PM

In spite of the insistence on the forum that this was a plastic badge (without handling the actual badge), it appears that the vendor simply made an honest mistake in the listing.
It is an OSD and I think that the person who has bought it got a very good deal.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/361185782304?...84.m1423.l2649

Phil

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 15-01-15, 04:14 PM

Same picture for 2 different sales, someone didn't get the badge they paid for or it was returned as it wasn't as described being an osd and not plastic.
Old 15-01-15, 05:57 PM

Can anyone supply me with pictures of a RCCS plastic trial badge? I have to date not come across one.

Thanks.
Old 15-01-15, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Joe, the archive file on the trial badges is not comprehensive. It is not clear whether they were all made and sent for evaluation Bill Ellis, I think, had a couple of the trial plastic badges a few years ago, but they have disappeared. (Unfortunately Bill passed away a couple of years ago. To date, his extensive collection of Canadian king's crown badges has not surfaced.) IIRC, the ones in question were RCASC and RCA?