British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-05-14, 12:31 PM

Default British Columbia cloth shoulder title

Could anyone please tell who would have worn this cloth shoulder title and when. I am presuming that the answer is soldiers of the British Columbia regiment during the Second World War.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BC.jpg (45.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg BC rev.jpg (45.8 KB, 33 views)
Old 18-05-14, 01:12 PM

HW....I would think 1st World War in this case......BillA or Whizzbang could give you a lot more informations on this.

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 18-05-14, 01:20 PM

Jo,

thank you. I will be chuffed if it turns out to be Great War.

Simon
Old 18-05-14, 01:41 PM

Some years ago Clive Law our fellow member and well-known military writer (and famous man-about-town) wrote "Khaki Uniforms of the Canadian Expeditionary Force" in 1997 and in it, he shows (p.10 & 11) some unofficial models of 1st WW cloth shoulder titles and yours seems to fall into this category.......in fact the only Canadian unit to wear cloth titles during the war was the P.P.C.L.I.......

Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 18-05-14, 01:42 PM

According to Joseph Harper's A Source of Pride, Notes and References page 145.
Chapter 7: Shoulder Titles
Note 1.

BRITISH COLUMBIA green on khaki was worn by the 7th Battalion CEF.

I don't know if there was some variation in colour and I am curious if these flashes were worn by depot troops back in Canada

The flashes shown are from my own collection.
Following Harper's information, I would assume that they are for the 7th and 29th Battalions, however, I would like to see photographic evidence to confirm fighting battalions as opposed to depot/recruiting units in Canada.
I am also wondering if these flashes may have been worn in the 1920s. The BCMR were authorized a cloth shoulder flash in 1928.

Phil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCAN0025 - Copy.jpg (51.1 KB, 42 views)

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 18-05-14 at 01:58 PM.
Old 18-05-14, 01:54 PM

Interesting but mine is definitely blue on khaki as are those in the photographs that you have kindly posted.
Old 18-05-14, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

CEF cloth is very difficult to correctly attribute. I corresponded with Joe about them for several years. There is evidence that the "regional" titles like British Columbia, Nova Scotia, Alberta, etc were worn late in the war.
In the fall of 1914 the 7th Bn acquired and wore for a short period of time the British Columbia titles, and the Vancouver title is attributed to the 29th. But, as Phil says, there is a lack of evidence to support the use of the titles.

Last edited by Bill A; 18-05-14 at 02:29 PM.