British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Infantry (& Guards) Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-09-22, 11:17 PM

Default Ulster Defence Regiment

One of my favourite cap badges because of the story behind my getting it.
As a boy, "Trevor" was one of my grandfather's patients - my grandfather was a dentist in Leamington Spa. My grandfather must have run into "Trevor's" parents and upon finding out what "Trevor" was doing, asked if they might get a cap badge for me.

The note reads:

"As promised, a UDR cap badge for Killer Jones - at no cost to the recipient!
love
Trevor
PS I dare you to show him this!"

"Trevor" started his military career as a National Serviceman, found out that he enjoyed it and was commissioned into the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters. He obtained this badge for me when he commanded The Ulster Defence Regiment's depot as a lieutenant colonel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4616 - Copy.jpg (45.4 KB, 55 views)

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Old 18-09-22, 01:28 AM

Totally AWESOME!!! Love having a piece that is named and has such a fine story behind it!!! And if the person actually wore it then its even more of a treasure!

Terry
Old 18-09-22, 12:35 PM

That's a fun story / letter to go with a fine badge with excellent provenance

Many years ago as a child on learning I was a fan of all things military and 'uncle' / family friend who had served during WWII with the Devonshire Regiment in the Far East, sent me a Devonshire OR cap badge, which obviously I still hold dear.

And the story to go with it.... The badge was my consolation prize after said uncle found out about my penchant for militaria AFTER he had sold to some chap his sam browne belt, a bayonet and the Japanese officers sword that had been surrendered to him!!!

Cheers......John