British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-04-20, 06:12 PM

Default Storage ideas

Hi all,

I am always interested in threads that show how members store their badges. I have a lot in riker cases but have recently being using these jewelry boxes purchased on ebay. Come in various sizes and very well made from cardboard with removable foam insert to sit the badge on.Finding these very useful as I am now cataloguing my badges and I am writing on the boxes.
So then came the problem of where to store the boxes. Following the programme history hunters, I viewed their website and saw an interesting and possible solution - a ww2 ARP medical box. I checked on ebay and got one(nice original one dated 1939) a third of the price than on War & Sons website(history hunters).Should get about 50 boxed badges in it. I know storing in this way is not ideal as I can't see the badges but needs must when you don't have much room.

Be safe, Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 109_0011.jpg (54.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg 109_0012.jpg (78.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 109_0013.jpg (44.3 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 109_0015.jpg (38.6 KB, 37 views)
Old 19-04-20, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1 View Post
Hi all,

I am always interested in threads that show how members store their badges. I have a lot in riker cases but have recently being using these jewelry boxes purchased on ebay. Come in various sizes and very well made from cardboard with removable foam insert to sit the badge on.Finding these very useful as I am now cataloguing my badges and I am writing on the boxes.
So then came the problem of where to store the boxes. Following the programme history hunters, I viewed their website and saw an interesting and possible solution - a ww2 ARP medical box. I checked on ebay and got one(nice original one dated 1939) a third of the price than on War & Sons website(history hunters).Should get about 50 boxed badges in it. I know storing in this way is not ideal as I can't see the badges but needs must when you don't have much room.

Be safe, Mark
Mark,

I store my QRWS badges in a twenty-four drawer filing cabinet, the type with very shallow drawers.

As for all other badges, those that are not in frames are also in similar, filing cabinet-type units labelled under their various categories.

Storage 1.jpg Storage 2.jpg Storage 3.jpg
Old 19-04-20, 05:31 PM

I use plastic take away boxes or those plastic bags you get at airports for putting liquids through security, I grab handfuls every time I go.
Old 19-04-20, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelly Terror View Post
Mark,

I store my QRWS badges in a twenty-four drawer filing cabinet, the type with very shallow drawers.

As for all other badges, those that are not in frames are also in similar, filing cabinet-type units labelled under their various categories.

Attachment 222531 Attachment 222532 Attachment 222533
JT,

Just wondering where you get the green drawers inserts from, a good way to store badges indeed.

Simon
Old 19-04-20, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post
JT,

Just wondering where you get the green drawers inserts from, a good way to store badges indeed.

Simon
Hello Simon,

I made the inserts myself. They're just made from thin sheets of that cheap, foam underlay stuff you put under wood flooring. I am planning on replacing them with the same thing made from plywood.

Last edited by Jelly Terror; 19-04-20 at 06:14 PM.
Old 19-04-20, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Mark,

Attachment 222531 Attachment 222532 Attachment 222533
JT that looks really smart, i'll look out for something like that ( the cabinet ).
Andy
Old 19-04-20, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Hello Simon,

I made the inserts myself. They're just made from thin sheets of that cheap, foam underlay stuff you put under wood flooring. I am planning on replacing them with the same thing made from plywood.
JT,

Thanks for that, very professional looking, perhaps you could show us the new ones when they are done.

All the best Simon.
Old 19-04-20, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman View Post
JT that looks really smart, i'll look out for something like that ( the cabinet ).
Andy
Thanks Andy.

Whilst researching/cataloguing the variants, I needed something that would keep them organised neatly, but was also easily accessible for reference purposes.
Old 19-04-20, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post
JT,

Thanks for that, very professional looking, perhaps you could show us the new ones when they are done.

All the best Simon.
Thanks Simon.

Yeah, I'd be happy to.
Old 19-04-20, 07:15 PM

JT, how the hell did you get that cabinet out of the Imperial War Museum without someone noticing??.
Old 19-04-20, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
JT, how the hell did you get that cabinet out of the Imperial War Museum without someone noticing??.
Shhh!
Old 19-04-20, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Shhh!
Old 20-04-20, 08:02 AM

I favour the Riker-type cases with divisions. Badges mounted on mounting board that is an interference fit for each division.

Only issue is having to move them all around when I get a new badge, but that's actually quite enjoyable!

Tim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6100.jpg (90.3 KB, 102 views)
Old 20-04-20, 09:01 AM

J.T.,

seeing your superb collection neatly filed in their drawers reminds of the old Ronnie Corbett joke about the bloke who was telling everyone on the bus of how he liked cabbages.

"I like cabbages, they are my favourite things, I cannot stop thinking about them, lovely cabbages. People say that I am mad because I love cabbages, I cant stop talking about them".

At this point he turned to the clearly bemused passenger next to him and said, "Do you think that I am mad because I like cabbages, I can't stop thinking about them?".

The embarrassed passenger says in a voice loud enough for everyone to hear, "No, I don't that you are mad because you like cabbages, everyone likes cabbages, I like cabbages, everyone does, that doesn't make you a mad man".

"Oh, that's very reassuring", says the first bloke. "You must come to my house and I can show you my cabbages. I keep them in my bedroom, in my chest of drawers, on top of my wardrobe, under the bed, on my bookshelves, I've got hundreds of them".

Just remember, we all like badges.

Best wishes,

Simon
Old 20-04-20, 10:24 AM
MarkGD

Tim, that is nicely done, i have yet to sort my collection out, still on cardboard!

I have steered away from Riker cases because of the white fluffy stuff, however what you have looks much better, where do the inserts come from? Have you made the backings yourself?
Regards Mark