British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 04-01-18, 09:26 AM

Default Vehicle marking to identify

Hello all,

Here is a view of some vehicles of the Guard Division during Operation Goodwood.

goodwood.jpg

They are supposed to belong to the 21st Anti-Tank Regiment and the 55th Field Artillery Regt, and I believe this is correct. My concern is about the "RG" marking which the carrier at the forefront is wearing (and maybe the Sherman too).
Could that mean "rearguard", as the vehicles seem to compose a convoy?

I wish you a happy 2018.
Old 04-01-18, 10:01 AM

Hodges & Taylor "British Military Markings" book page 26 shows a lot of Royal Artillery Tactical markings.

It shows the setup for a Field Regiment and it illustrates a 3 Battery 6 Troop unit with RA RB RC RD RE RF on the smaller tactical plate for the Troop Commanders Carriers of A-F troops.

Your picture could represent a Regiment with more than 6 Troops or it may actually read RC rather than RG?

The bottom left quarter of the tactical plate is Red which should make this the 3rd Battery in the Regiment.

77 on the Red over Blue unit serial is correct for an Anti Tank Regiment in an Armoured Division.

Rob

Last edited by Rob Miller; 04-01-18 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-01-18, 11:09 AM

Thank you for this answer. Very helpful indeed.
Old 04-01-18, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Miller View Post
Hodges & Taylor "British Military Markings" book page 26 shows a lot of Royal Artillery Tactical markings.

It shows the setup for a Field Regiment and it illustrates a 3 Battery 6 Troop unit with RA RB RC RD RE RF on the smaller tactical plate for the Troop Commanders Carriers of A-F troops.

Your picture could represent a Regiment with more than 6 Troops or it may actually read RC rather than RG?

The bottom left quarter of the tactical plate is Red which should make this the 3rd Battery in the Regiment.

77 on the Red over Blue unit serial is correct for an Anti Tank Regiment in an Armoured Division.

Rob
I agree - mostly. RC is the correct plate for the Tp Comd/OP Officer of Q Bty of a Fd Regt in an Armd Div - hence the Sherman OP tank. RG is a Tp Comd in the third Bty of an ATk Regt in an Armd Div. Atk Regts in Armd Divs had four Btys. Mike
Old 04-01-18, 06:06 PM

Thank you Mike.
I have had the same info by an other source.

What I understand is that an AT Rgt has 4 Btrys (2 Btrys with AT guns et 2 Btrys with SP AT guns); each Btry has 3 Troops, each troop has 4 guns. Have I got it right? An illustrated version is as follows:

vehicle markings.jpg

Bouchery, J., Le Tommy de la libération, Paris, Histoire & Collections, Vol. 2,p. 126, 2003.
Old 04-01-18, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iffig View Post
Thank you Mike.
I have had the same info by an other source.

What I understand is that an AT Rgt has 4 Btrys (2 Btrys with AT guns et 2 Btrys with SP AT guns); each Btry has 3 Troops, each troop has 4 guns. Have I got it right? An illustrated version is as follows:

Attachment 182895

Bouchery, J., Le Tommy de la libération, Paris, Histoire & Collections, Vol. 2,p. 126, 2003.
I believe that the makeup of each of the four Btys in an ATk Regt varied - division to division. You'll find examples of several British ATk Regts that had their roots in the Yeomanry in Militaria No 384 (Sep 17). Mike
Old 04-01-18, 08:54 PM

The important point to understand the "RG" marking is that there are four btrys in an AT regiment. Their actual make up is irrelevant.
It has been very clearly explained.
Thank you all for your answers and explanations.