British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-11-09, 04:44 AM

Default Recent CF Command Badges

CF insignia collectors will know that CEFCOM, CANOSCOM, CANCOM and SOFCOM have all been granted command badges. CEFCOM has been issued their command badges and this is what it looks like.

Old 28-11-09, 06:16 AM

very sharp looking command badge for sure. My collection of Command badges has sort of fallen by the wayside. After seeing this one, I think it may have new life.

Thanks for showing this one.

Cliff

http://www.irishregimentofcanada.ca
Old 28-11-09, 02:14 PM

Hmmm, kind of reminds me of Thanksgiving.

Last edited by Adam H; 28-11-09 at 02:23 PM.
Old 28-11-09, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Ed, The quality of your images is excellent. How do you take your images?
Old 28-11-09, 08:05 PM

It looks like a very well made badge. You don't often see the rivets. I am assuming that it is made by Pressed Metal Products of Vancouver. Much nicer than Lamond/Woods/Evco!

Phil
Old 28-11-09, 09:04 PM

Default Command Badges

Yes, I believe all of the Operational Command badges were manufactured by PMP and that the work is very high quality.

For Bill's scanner question, the quality of the scans is relative to the quality of the scanner. I use a Microteck scanner which does a very nice job and has a nice depth of field in the scanner.
Old 02-12-09, 10:30 PM

Default command Badge

It is a good looking badge - - but my question is "what is the history or heritage of an eagle for the army. It kind of strikes me as an American wanna-be.
Old 03-12-09, 12:42 AM

Sorry to say, but I am with Larry on this one. It's nicely made, but, to me, not very Canadian in appearance. Of course all the new "dot coms" are rather American in design and structure as well.

A very odd position for the eagle. Standing with its foot out, and wings up like it's been frightened? Surely they could have come up with a bird with more military bearing if they insisted on using one!

I'll gladly stick with my Land Force Command badge.

At least the quality is a step up, I suppose.

Thanks for showing us, Ed. And yes, nice scans. I find epson also has the depth of field required for badges, medals and the like.
Old 03-12-09, 02:12 AM

Funny that you should mention Land Force Command. That particular badge demonstrates the poor quality of some badges. I have seen a number of them - being worn on parade - where the maple leaf had not been enamelled.
Another choice badge was the ADM Materiel badge where the anvil would fall off.
In all honesty, I have never really liked wearing Command badges. Clutch pins are unreliable and putting them on is a fiddle. Same for collar badges and medal ribbons. Longer shanks on the pins would be nice, but for some reason, nobody has ever demanded it.
Screw posts like on the shoulder titles would probably be a better method of fastening badges to the uniform.

Phil

Last edited by Phillip Herring; 03-12-09 at 02:17 AM.
Old 03-12-09, 02:25 AM

Phil,

I agree that many of the Comd Badges are dismal in terms of construction. I, too, have observed the defects you speak of. A disgrace, really.

I also agree that the clutch pins are not an attachment device I like very much. In fact I was cursing my badge this past Remembrance Day as it was giving me grief attaching thru the multiple layers of material.

Perhaps this is a step forward, and we'll see better made badges...and eventually better pins.

I won't hold my breath, but we live in hope!

Adam
Old 04-12-09, 12:09 PM

Default Falcon not Eagle

The article in the newspaper states that the bird is a Ealcon not an Eagle. I still think that the first impression of the badge is that it is an American looking badge not Canadian
Old 04-12-09, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

From a heraldry website(http://www.fleurdelis.com/meanings.htm):
The falcon is indistinguishable, in heraldry, from the sparrow-hawk, goshawk, kite, or merlin, though they may be described that way in blazon.
The falcon's heraldic meaning is "One who does not rest until objective achieved". This seems fitting for the command badge, though like several comments, the look of the badge is somewhat "American".
Old 04-12-09, 09:04 PM

The command badge that I have no love for is the CANOSCOM one. A large star-like shape, far too large and too many colours. I thought the most American looking of them all.
Old 30-12-09, 10:02 PM

Last edited by jranrose; 30-09-14 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-01-10, 02:55 AM

Default Canadian Operational Support Command (CANOSCOM)

Here is the CANOSCOM badge, aka 'Ninja shooting star'... It was not manufactured by the same company as the other three command badges - Garet Medal.