British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Formation and Tasking Signs

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-01-14, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Clive, I didn't know you wore ugly dresses.
Nobody will sell me the pretty ones.
Old 21-01-14, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Herring View Post
Interesting comments. It's not as if any of us are likely to wear it.

Phil
This insignia seems more in line with the ADC and AdeC insignia to be honest. I don't mean the aiguilettes, but the metal insignia on the shoulder strap that goes with those appointments. Is "Close Protection" an actual skill, or is it an appointment? I don't doubt it takes special training to be assigned this duty, but what is it the badge is representing? For some insignia (i.e. trades training) you don't wear the badge unless you are employed in that duty. For others such as jump wings, you wear the badge (albeit with different coloured maple leaf) even if no longer employed. With the ADC/AdeC badges, you likewise do not wear them unless employed as an Aide de Camp.

The article Ed posted does refer to it as a skill badge, but doesn't mention if it is worn, for example, in conjunction with the trade/skill badge on the arm, if it is related to a skill of its own, or if one needs to be employed on special protective duties in order to wear it. Do you keep it forever once trained? Or is it a "badge of office" like the ADC/AdeC badge?

Not to compare the two, but it was interesting that Hitler's bodyguard had a Führerhauptquartier cuff title for their uniforms, but they were forbidden from wearing them when they were on duty, as a security measure. Since the location of Hitler's headquarters was usually secret, it was thought to be unwise to give special insignia to those providing "close protection" to the headquarters, since it would only be a tip-off to anyone who might be considering doing him harm. I believe the cuff titles were permitted to be worn when on leave and away from their duty stations.
Old 14-03-14, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Thank-you for the reference. I was not aware that the GG had a page on the heraldic badges of Canada. Nor was I aware of the Canadian Heraldic Authority. (Even though it has been in existence since 1988!) Quite an informative site, which describes the process and the badges and emblems approved.
http://reg.gg.ca/heraldry/pub-reg/main.asp?lang=e
Now for the $10,000 question. How has the armorial badge been translated into a skill at arms badge? Anyone have an actual example?
Seeing that His Excellency the Governor General is the head of the Canadian Heraldic Authority and the office of the CHA is within the office of the Governor General, it is natural that it is part of the Governor General's website. And you are quite correct, the CHA section of the GG's website does offer us a lot of information.
Old 14-03-14, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dorosh View Post
This insignia seems more in line with the ADC and AdeC insignia to be honest. I don't mean the aiguilettes, but the metal insignia on the shoulder strap that goes with those appointments. Is "Close Protection" an actual skill, or is it an appointment? I don't doubt it takes special training to be assigned this duty, but what is it the badge is representing? For some insignia (i.e. trades training) you don't wear the badge unless you are employed in that duty. For others such as jump wings, you wear the badge (albeit with different coloured maple leaf) even if no longer employed. With the ADC/AdeC badges, you likewise do not wear them unless employed as an Aide de Camp.

The article Ed posted does refer to it as a skill badge, but doesn't mention if it is worn, for example, in conjunction with the trade/skill badge on the arm, if it is related to a skill of its own, or if one needs to be employed on special protective duties in order to wear it. Do you keep it forever once trained? Or is it a "badge of office" like the ADC/AdeC badge?

Not to compare the two, but it was interesting that Hitler's bodyguard had a Führerhauptquartier cuff title for their uniforms, but they were forbidden from wearing them when they were on duty, as a security measure. Since the location of Hitler's headquarters was usually secret, it was thought to be unwise to give special insignia to those providing "close protection" to the headquarters, since it would only be a tip-off to anyone who might be considering doing him harm. I believe the cuff titles were permitted to be worn when on leave and away from their duty stations.
The badges of Lieutenant Governors AdeCs, are the shield of the province with the crown, and some have a circle of maple leaves.

This is my shoulder board with my insignia as a Aide de camp to the Lieutenant Governor of Québec.

The Aides de camp to the Lieutenant Governor of Nova Scotia are quite different from other provinces because they have a special design based on the standard of the Lieutenant-Governor.

Cheers!
Old 28-03-14, 03:51 AM

Interesting badge, I would assume this only to be issued to MP’s? The CP task was assigned to the MP’s, however they didn’t have the manpower to support the role entirely so it was opened up to combat arms. The 6 week Close Protection Courses that were conducted at Blackwater for CAF members were largely filled by Infantry members with a smaller percentage of MP’s, or at least the courses I'm aware of.
Old 08-04-14, 10:37 PM

If I saw someone wearing this, I would assume they were proud of their time in Gryffindor.
Old 09-04-14, 12:38 AM

Here is the latest AdeC badge for NS. In keeping with Cdn Army requirments the insignia is to be gilt, metal and no more that 31mm high. This is in order to fit on the shoulder strap along with Unit Title and new pips and crowns.
From left to right, old insignia (40mm), new insignia (24mm and 29mm)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AdeC Nova Scotia 40mm 24mm 29mm.jpg (19.7 KB, 33 views)
Old 08-11-15, 09:54 PM

I am to the understanding that once the badge is earned, the person is entitled to wear it even when no longer in that role. All the guys I know who attended the original BlackWater CP course all continue to wear this badge.

Cheers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_2.jpg (40.4 KB, 74 views)
Old 08-11-15, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

With no derision to the personnel who perform the duties, the badge is an absolutely terrible design. It looks like a commercial blazer badge.
Old 09-11-15, 02:29 AM

Agreed. I know a member who chooses not to wear it in place of his wings, so he doesn't wear it at all.

Last edited by cw2311; 09-11-15 at 02:30 PM.
Old 10-11-15, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw2311 View Post
I am to the understanding that once the badge is earned, the person is entitled to wear it even when no longer in that role. All the guys I know who attended the original BlackWater CP course all continue to wear this badge.

Cheers
What is the pocket badge below the parachute badge?
Old 10-11-15, 05:40 PM

Ours is very simple.

Marc

Last edited by 54Bty; 09-02-22 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-11-15, 05:57 PM
Super Moderator

Marc, The Brit army one looks like a military badge.
Another question about the Canadian example. Why is it worn on the breast, rather than on the sleeve?
Old 10-11-15, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaydodger View Post
What is the pocket badge below the parachute badge?

He was a member of the CISM Team.
Old 10-11-15, 06:08 PM

http://www.cg.cfpsa.ca/CG-PC/PETAWAW...REQUISITE.aspx

http://www.shop.en.mpkitshop.ca/Patc...ion-KS-302.htm

Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur

Hanlon's razor: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.