British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > New Member Introduction Zone

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-01-12, 09:32 AM

Default Introduction

Hi to everyone,

Although I have been logged into the forum and reading posts for some months, this is my first post by way of introduction.
I have a small, typical beginners, eclectic collection of badges. My interest is in the period WW1 & WW2 generally and specifically the Hampshire Regiment because, like many I guess, the first badge I owned was my late father's, who served in the 1st battalion throughout WW2. From that you will realize I'm not a youngster myself and a late-comer to this wonderful (and addictive!) hobby.
A further refinement to my collecting habit is Isle of Wight related, because that is where I live and finding anything related to the 8th Btn Hampshires (Isle of Wight Rifles) is always pleasing.
I have much to learn and will ask lots of questions. Being late 50's and asking teenager's entry level questions will test my pride and your patience but I strongly believe that to ask is but a moment of shame, but to remain ignorant, is a lifetime of shame.

Kind regards,

Kevin.
Old 17-01-12, 01:14 PM

Welcome, you will have a very interesting time on this Forum. Massive amounts of knowledge from the members here.
Old 17-01-12, 01:34 PM

Greetings Kevin, and a very warm welcome to the forum.

JohnG
Old 17-01-12, 03:42 PM

Default Greetings

Kevin, you live in a wonderful place, best of luck with collecting and welcome.

Rob
Old 17-01-12, 04:25 PM

Welcome from another late 50 ish. Nice place the isle of WIDGIT

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 17-01-12, 05:04 PM

Hiya Kevin

Welcome to the forum, i'm a newish type of guy too, but I am a younger 50ish year old individual, unlike "eng9266 (silly name) Jerry", who is older n wiser than most of us, ........... well me anyways.

You will have alot of fun on here, if not already, ........ enjoy, and we look forward to meeting you in the future hopefully. Fatboy Ken
Old 17-01-12, 09:56 PM

Welcome to the Forum Kevin,

I have asked some questions and even posted a few comments on the Forum that have immediately displayed that I have much to learn. The responses have been enthusiastic and helpful from genuine members and don't hesitate to ask or post a newly acquired badge you have or have seen. Spend time reviewing the albums as they are a treasure trove of inspiration.

I have wasted money in the past on restrikes and since joining the Forum that has just about stopped. We all get caught occasionally even when you get to handle a badge.

So be brave and enjoy as you learn.

As an aside my dear aunt in Southampton was engaged to a Lancaster pilot from the Isle of White who was killed in the first 1,000 bomber raid on Germany. She is still in touch with the family and they make her (and her late husband when he was alive) very welcome in their home. Such is the bond. I will post his RAF wings one day! So the Isle of Wight is special in our family so you are especially welcome.

All the best, Dean
Old 17-01-12, 10:37 PM

Welcome to the forum Kevin. Enjoy.
Old 18-01-12, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Elliott View Post
Hi to everyone,

A further refinement to my collecting habit is Isle of Wight related, because that is where I live and finding anything related to the 8th Btn Hampshires (Isle of Wight Rifles) is always pleasing.

Kind regards,

Kevin.
Welcome Kevin,

Don't worry at all about what you feel you do and do not know. You have identified a focus for your interest and with a passion for your regiment, a medium amount of due diligence with regards to badge fitments, slider lengths, sealed patterns etc. I expect you will teach us something about the Hants, in due time.

I spent a few summers on the Isle of Wight and remember it fondly.

sincerely

John
Old 19-01-12, 02:34 PM

Default Rob Ellison

Hi, Researching my family history on Ancestory, trying to find out what cap badge this is? Can anyone help? My Grandfather was in the Kings Liverpool Regiment, this is obviously not them...
Old 20-01-12, 04:29 PM

wecome to the forum as you are well aware people are more than happy to help all the very best billy