British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 20-06-20, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Many congratulations, wonderful news, though, doubtless in the short term, considerably more work and responsibility, as well as rather less time for other things, badge collecting, for example.
Never mind, far better than any badge that can simply be bought and at any time.
Thank you Frank. Noticeably harder with two but the wife is a hero and coping admirably. Our two year old likes my badges already so there’s hope for the future of the hobby.
Old 20-06-20, 06:59 PM

WOW...what a debate! Great detective work Luke. The highs and lows of badge collecting! It really is a minefield out there for those of us with less experience. I thought this one might be OK, but decided to throw it across the bows of the forum anyway. Now I am glad I did, as I do not want re-strikes or fakes in my collection. Thanks to everyone for taking part.
Regards, Jim.
Old 21-06-20, 10:38 AM

Well here is another 'bad' one with exactly the same slider, which discounts Jim's badge being doctored with an original look-a-like slider. Hopefully you can also see in the photograph (bad badge on the right) that braze, not solder, has been used to fix the reinforcing rods. That hopefully also answers the braze/solder question.

Before reading this thread, I hadn't totally discounted my 'bad' badge as a fake, though it is very new looking and there are notable differences between it and what I believe to be an original one. I show both for comparison. Apart from the lettering the most striking feature is that the crown on the 'bad' one is noticeably thinner. Also the cross at the top of the crown is at the same height as the lance points whereas the fatter crown's cross on my original is slightly higher than the lance points.

My reasoning for not discounting it was that both front and rear detail are excellent and I had put the crown size differences down to a makers variation such as the crown size difference on 12th lancers. Interestingly KK and Gaylor's images all show a fatter crowned 9th, whereas a thinner crown is shown in Cox and Doyle/Foster.

I may have to change my mind now after seeing the Marsh fakes all with the same die features, but I cannot figure why Marsh would expend such a lot of effort on this particular badge. Quite a fiddly and lengthy job adding 4 pieces of rod and brazing it all place! Definitely a conundrum for me!

Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9893.jpg (42.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9894.jpg (39.0 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by dubaiguy; 21-06-20 at 10:50 AM.