British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 11-12-19, 07:37 PM

Default Malayan Scouts

Original? Any thoughts on this piece would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C040082A~2.jpg (24.5 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg C040082B~2.jpg (19.6 KB, 57 views)

Top Dollar paid for original 1st, 2nd and 3rd (NZ/3/MGC) New Zealand Machine Gun Company badges.
Old 11-12-19, 08:11 PM
MarkGD

I like it, think it's a good original badge, seen a few. Regards Mark
Old 11-12-19, 08:44 PM

Personally I would want a very clear in shot pic front and back just my opinion.
Cheers
Steve
Old 12-12-19, 12:45 AM

Default Imo NOT original. Ive owned it

Hi all. DESERT RAT in particular.
I owned this a few years back.
The seller sold it in good faith.
You can see the top rear right corner where i pulled back the leather to check the rear as something didnt sit right.
When i used a UV light it lit up like Christmas.
I returned it and Cadet direct (current owners) bought it thinking it was an original to base their several versions of copies on.
I live in the same town as cadet direct and was offered the chance to buy an original MS patch from then by a guy i know who works for them.
I jumped at the chance to add another to my collection.
As my mate started to describe it, i had to stop him and described it to a Tee (even to the corner).
To say they were gutted is an understatement.
I offered them a decent price to buy it as a replica as its a good (copy imo).
They turned it down saying they wanted what they had paid for it.
I did inform them that if it was offered on the market as original, i would share my thoughts to prevent someone buying a possible fake.
Its your money so invest if you wish.
My opinion is only that...
MY opinion.
PSA a couple of pix from my dropbox from 5 years ago.Screenshot_20191212-004237_Dropbox.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

Screenshot_20191212-004257_Dropbox.jpg
Old 12-12-19, 07:23 AM
Banned

As above, not an original badge
Old 12-12-19, 08:59 AM

Jon is 'the' man on these (and many other similar items) - I for one will be steering clear. It does look rather 'woolly' to me. There appear to be several other stand out alarms if you look closely at the Kris and border.
Mike
Old 12-12-19, 02:44 PM

Thank you Jon. The information is much appreciated.

Top Dollar paid for original 1st, 2nd and 3rd (NZ/3/MGC) New Zealand Machine Gun Company badges.
Old 12-12-19, 03:49 PM

The badge is an old copy one of Trevor Bate from about 1989 , we really need to do a album on his wares ....
Old 12-12-19, 10:26 PM

Default Trevor Bate

Hi Michael ive never heard the name mate. Now that worries me lol.
Old 13-12-19, 08:59 AM

Good morning , ARH Trevor Bate - the ` mischief maker` back in the dark an distant days of the 1980s There was a militaria dealer Trevor Bate( Paul Laycock may remember him ) who stood the arms fairs elderly gent even back then always wore a base ball cap think his thing was American Air Force items , any way Trevor used to have copied victorian helmet plates rare metal badges / cap badges etc .

Along with all these he had a little folder of reproduction special forces cloth items included S.A.S wings,F.A.N.Y shoulder titles parachute wings Malaya Scout patch and shoulder titles and RFC / RAF wings a rather good Eagle squadron patch.

Now let me state quite clearly to the best of my knowledge Trevor never intended to deceive he sold every thing as space fillers the special forces cloth sold for 4/5 quid it was when other dealers got involved and started aging the badges.

Now the big problem here for special forces collectors is the fact that these early badges although made in Pakistan were of a lot finer quality so when a perhaps less experienced collector handles a set of Trevors badges because they differ slightly from the known copies of today they get excited and presume they have an original.

All I can say is the ones I saw were good but ` just not right` a lot of these S.A.S wings were attached to B.D,S and service dress 20 odd years ago and offered by high end UK dealers often genuinely so they are now well and truly bedded in the food chain....

I would recommend any one wanting to learn more would be to join the WEHRMACHT AWARDS forum and view the british section this was one of the first and best forums that covered british S.F insignia if they old threads exist Trevors badges are shown and discussed

........an a lot of nasty men are gona hate me for writing this thread ...
Old 13-12-19, 10:09 AM

Michael - thanks for the detailed update. Another reason why manufacturing 'space fillers', reproductions, etc should be regarded as Criminal - perhaps unless marked thoroughly for re-enactors and the like. Your reference to 'no intention to deceive', and 'now truly bedded in the food chain' absolutely encapsulates the dangers of manufacturing such tat. In my own opinion only - a space filler is a blot in a collection. I would rather leave a gap or even just place a photograph or illustration in a display - rather than something pretending to be something it is not.
Hoping readers will excuse my rant, but this sort of deception undermines our hobby.
Mike
Old 13-12-19, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B View Post
Michael - thanks for the detailed update. Another reason why manufacturing 'space fillers', reproductions, etc should be regarded as Criminal - perhaps unless marked thoroughly for re-enactors and the like. Your reference to 'no intention to deceive', and 'now truly bedded in the food chain' absolutely encapsulates the dangers of manufacturing such tat. In my own opinion only - a space filler is a blot in a collection. I would rather leave a gap or even just place a photograph or illustration in a display - rather than something pretending to be something it is not.
Hoping readers will excuse my rant, but this sort of deception undermines our hobby.
Mike
Yes. You're right and some on this forum do it.
Old 13-12-19, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEMO View Post
........an a lot of nasty men are gona hate me for writing this thread ...
I'm sure they will. And there are people on this forum that make out that butter wouldn't melt in their mouths but are involved in undermining the hobby in more ways than one.
Old 13-12-19, 11:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeochil View Post
I'm sure they will. And there are people on this forum that make out that butter wouldn't melt in their mouths but are involved in undermining the hobby in more ways than one.
Probably why this forum is on its arse
Old 14-12-19, 05:40 PM

So why is this Forum " on its arse " ?
Andy