British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Corps, Branches and the Royal Canadian Artillery

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 28-12-23, 12:56 AM

Default Did Canadian civilian drivers wear collars?

I'm putting together what I can of the metal cap badges, collars of the CAF and Auxiliary services. I was wondering if the transport drivers wore collar badges with this badge. I remember these guys; they wore an Ike jacket with a forage cap bearing this badge. I suppose it would make sense that the collars might be two of the steering wheel devices but I don't remember ever having seen those.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img334.jpg (67.3 KB, 11 views)
Old 28-12-23, 01:59 AM

Good day SK,

To the best of my knowledge, the DND drivers did not have collar badges. As I recall, the only uniform they had was the "bus driver" one, a short zip up jacket and pants, sort of a lime green colour. The only insignia on the jacket was the brown cloth, curved up, blilingual shoulder title with "DND MOTOR TRANSPORT/TRANSPORT MOTORISE MND" in yellow embroidery.

The hat badge in your OP and the shoulder title were authorised in 1976.

Hope this is of some help to you. If you can locate a copy, I can recommend Volume 4 of Roy Thompson's series on Canadian Forces badges, titled "CAP BADGES AND INSIGNIA OF THE RCN, RCAF AND CAF, 1953-1977" to assist you in your efforts.

Ian B
The day the government succeeds in taking away our dress uniforms, badges and colours, and all the so called "non-functional" items; they will find themselves with an army that cannot defend them. Robert Heinlein, "Starship Troopers"
Old 28-12-23, 03:57 AM

Default Thanks Ian

You clever chap. I have that book and I just looked it up. Thompson says "no other badges are worn".

Thanks for that.