British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Navy and Royal Marines

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-10-11, 12:19 PM

Question New? style Royal Navy ratings beret badge??

Hi guys,

I haven't seen this type of ratings beret badge before, is it a new pattern?

Described by dealer as:

''ROYAL NAVY LOWER RATES BERET BADGE in heavily bulked (padded) Gold and Silver Wire Bullion upon a Black Back cloth.''

Cheers

Phil

Last edited by Phil2M; 06-07-14 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-10-11, 02:23 PM

Phil

I would run away from it. Royal Navy junior rates still wear the metal version in their berets apart from the ETs (Engineering Technicians) who wear the red embroidered version. Junior Rates do not wear the peaked cap so there is no need for them to have a bullion version like that shown. This looks like the bottom half of a PO's cap badge.

Paddy
Old 01-10-11, 03:25 PM

Cheers Paddy,

I was very suspicious of it. Thought I would check with the experts and its payed off.

Maybe this thread could be moved to fakes, restrikes and forgeries. The seller is trying it on.

Cheers

Phil
Old 02-10-11, 11:29 AM

I would get a new one chewed by the chops if i wore that
Old 02-10-11, 12:04 PM

lol, Confirmed then that its a fantasy badge. hes asking 12.99 plus postage for it.

Cheers guys.

Phil
Old 02-10-11, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2m View Post
lol, Confirmed then that its a fantasy badge. hes asking 12.99 plus postage for it.

Cheers guys.

Phil
Hi Phil, Possibly this could be some kind of "Sea Cadet" cap badge?

There are so many nautical/maritime youth/cadet organisations that have sprung up in the last few years (naval cadet corps, naval training corps, maritime cadet corps, junior cadet corps, maritime training corps, to name just a few) all of who use some form of insignia generally based on the RN style of rank badges and frequently just RN badges mutilated in some way! I remember way way back in my youth when I became the first ever Chief Petty Officer in the Nautical Training Corps I had to chop the crown off an RN CPO cap badge and sew on the tudor rose off an NTC POs cap badge to produce an NTC CPO cap badge, in time an "official" version was produced!

Anyway just a thought! maybe not "fantasy" just not RN?

Cheers for the Admiralty Constabulary cap badge by the way!

Regards Tony
Old 02-10-11, 03:30 PM

I can confirm that the above is not Sea Cadet Corps, but you are right, It could potentially be Nautical Training Corps, Naval Training Corps etc....

Regards,

Phil
Old 02-10-11, 03:36 PM

No problem Tony, as I said there will be an Admiralty Fire badge to follow soon.

Interesting that it could be one of those organisations, I will look into it. Will discount Sea Cadets, as Phil says. Their badge is a naval crown on the anchor with sea cadets around the circle, I think.

Very intrigueing (spelling?)

Cheers

Phil
Old 08-10-11, 02:09 PM

Hi All
The RNR ratings wear or used to wear a badge like that in bi-metal without the crown, brass circle & WM anchor. Is it possible that this is a variation of that badge?
Cheers,
Alex
Old 08-10-11, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi All
The RNR ratings wear or used to wear a badge like that in bi-metal without the crown, brass circle & WM anchor. Is it possible that this is a variation of that badge?
Cheers,
Alex
Hi, RN and RNR ratings wear the same beret badges. I have not seen this badge being worn in any edition of "Navy News", but I must admit that I have not been looking that close. On that note can anyone explain why senior rates beret badges have the style of slider that they do?
Andy
Old 08-10-11, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh View Post
Hi, RN and RNR ratings wear the same beret badges. I have not seen this badge being worn in any edition of "Navy News", but I must admit that I have not been looking that close. On that note can anyone explain why senior rates beret badges have the style of slider that they do?
Andy
Always wondered on the odd "double slider"

Tom
Old 08-10-11, 05:54 PM

Hi All
I don't know if the plain badge without the crown was only worn by the RNR or regular RN as well, but I have seen photos of RNR personnel wearing it published in the Navy News many years ago. That's why I suggested a possible variation.
Badge shown below.
Cheers,
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01769.jpg (75.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 08-10-11, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Hi All
I don't know if the plain badge without the crown was only worn by the RNR or regular RN as well, but I have seen photos of RNR personnel wearing it published in the Navy News many years ago. That's why I suggested a possible variation.
Badge shown below.
Cheers,
Alex
Hi alex, sorry I may have not explained myself very well . RN & RNR junior rates (as do senior rates and officers, although I have seen officers beret badges also in bullion) wear the same beret badges, that is the metal one you have shown. What I meant is that I have not seen the badge in the first post being worn. Of course I could be wrong, but I would like to see evidence before I add this badge to my collection.
Andy

Last edited by Nozzer; 08-10-11 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-10-11, 08:40 PM

I have just looked on a certain internet auction site and I have found the badge mentioned in the first post. Of interest the seller also lists senior rates (P.O. C.P.O.) warrant officers and commisioned officers badges made in the same way. It is a long time since I was given my marching orders from Raleigh , so perhaps someone with a little more knowledge could coment on these badges. Also I would be interested to see if these badges have a contract number on the back
Andy

Last edited by Nozzer; 14-10-11 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-10-11, 11:07 AM

Hi Andy
Thanks for the explanation, I missed the point .
Cheers,
Alex