British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Schools, OTC and Cadets

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 06-02-19, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badjez View Post
Attached is a link to someones collection of police badge. Scan down for the Grimsby Borough Police.
http://alan.swain.me.uk/badges.htm

Stephen.
I had much to do with the late Alan Swain working on the same shift with him from 1980 until his retirement (he attempted but failed to coin the nickname "Soup" for me but it never took off, I continue to be known as "Hey you")
A very nice man, an excellent cool, calm, collected and good humoured "old school" police officer and of course, extremely knowledgeable where police insignia were concerned.
Old 06-02-19, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately it's not the first Police item that has been passed off as 'rare OTC' badge.

Bath Police Collars have been sold as rare Bath School OTC cap badges. Rawlings' pamphlet may be the source of this. Bath School OTC was originally a cadet corps affiliated to the Somerset LI VB and wore their badge. In 1908 they became an OTC and the school was granted permission to wear the Regular battalion's SLI Bugle with Jalalabad scroll over it by the CO of 1st Bn SLI. The OTC closed in 1910.

The police collars were worn into the 1950s and can be found in nickel and in chrome.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2023-12-19 16.47.03.png (86.9 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by Alan O; 19-12-23 at 04:47 PM.
Old 18-11-22, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

And this is Sherborne OTC wearing the Dorsetshire cap badge in 1939.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-11-18 18.36.23.jpg (70.2 KB, 19 views)