British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 23-03-19, 12:26 PM

Default O type Silver maybe?

SAM_0001.jpg

SAM_0002.jpg

SAM_0003.jpg

SAM_0004.jpg

Hi I bought the above badge in an Aldershot second hand shop in 1980 when I joined the ACF in Aldershot as 15 year old, I think I paid around £3.00 for it I then put the badge on my navy blue 1980s Kangol beret with maroon diamond backing that I was issued a few weeks after joining as a cadet because I did not like the anodised badge that came with the beret. when I left the ACF I kept my badge and beret, Now to the point a friend of mine was looking at the badge and beret a few days back and he seems to think that it is an officers silver badge any ideas if it is or is not silver would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Graham
Old 23-03-19, 03:41 PM

I too have this type, very heavy and solid. I thought it was plated ?
Andy
Old 23-03-19, 06:42 PM

I thought I was chrome but my mate thinks it is silver I’m still not sure.
Old 23-03-19, 07:05 PM

As it is unmarked in any way to suggest its silver and at £3 in 1980 at I would think DuBora's in Aldershot it is the heavy plated style also purchased by regular para's in place of the anodised badge.

Wanted Poppy Pins
Old 24-03-19, 03:42 AM

Default Plated

It looks like silver to perfection but there are federal laws in Britain about all silver being hallmarked so it's likely plated brass or a good white metal. Very nice looking badge.

Premium prices for silver are only justifiable because of scarcity and not really silver content. At $7 an ounce or whatever silver is now, you can bang out a lot of badges from an ounce of silver but it carries a price premium far beyond it's metallurgic value.

Having whined about it, I must admit there is something rich about holding a sterling cap badge in your hand.

I once bought a pair of rank badges that I couldn't identify right off. They ended up begin police Assistant Chief Constable or Commander shoulder wreaths with the crossed torches in the middle. They were sterling and the torches even had a red enamel flame on then. They were spectacular and I have never since seen even one, only ever bullion. I sold them and that's one bit of silver that I think earned it's premium price!
Old 26-03-19, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_2817 View Post
As it is unmarked in any way to suggest its silver and at £3 in 1980 at I would think DuBora's in Aldershot it is the heavy plated style also purchased by regular para's in place of the anodised badge.
I know I did not buy it at Debora’s but at a small second hand shop that was on the way to the cadet drill hall that was up behind Aldershot football ground, defiantly not Dubois’s as they were up in the main shopping center at that time.
Old 01-04-19, 06:09 AM

1980? it actually looks brand new, rather odd looking crown and lion for nearly four decades ago, perfectly normal these days though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loski View Post
Attachment 204100

Attachment 204097

Attachment 204098

Attachment 204099

Hi I bought the above badge in an Aldershot second hand shop in 1980 when I joined the ACF in Aldershot as 15 year old, I think I paid around £3.00 for it I then put the badge on my navy blue 1980s Kangol beret with maroon diamond backing that I was issued a few weeks after joining as a cadet because I did not like the anodised badge that came with the beret. when I left the ACF I kept my badge and beret, Now to the point a friend of mine was looking at the badge and beret a few days back and he seems to think that it is an officers silver badge any ideas if it is or is not silver would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Graham