British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-03-19, 08:48 PM

Default A Discussion of Why?

Given it's a quiet Sunday afternoon, other than being St. Patrick's Day, I was musing over a subject that seems to raise its ugly head periodically. Certainly by design in this thread.

That being the motivating factors in the creation of fraudulent military insignia.
• Obviously ranking number one is pure greed, with the prerequisite being an identified market.
• Secondly is the fact that there are only a limited number of certain genuine articles known remaining in existence.
• The requirement of reenactment groups representing all eras of history to recreate accurate uniforms, with the correct insignia.
• The requirements of theatrical and motion picture production needs.
• Requirement generated by museums as well as individuals, to have fillers/replicas of the real thing, in order to show people a representation of what something looked like in three dimensions.
Fascination and challenge seen by some individuals just to see whether they have the requisite knowledge, technical and artistic skills/ability to totally fool experts, as well as current forensic technology.

Consider however, Fake militaria is playing in the "bush leagues" compared to the field of other fraudulent antiques, i.e. furniture, art, porcelain/ceramics, for example. Unfortunately the psychology of human nature creates a ready Petri dish for frauds and counterfeiters. While bringing shame and ridicule thru exposure may be a transient solution, it's only successful litigation (almost prohibitively expensive and time consuming) which provides an effective deterrent.

Arnhem Jim aka Arnhemjim

Not exactly a new member (with 399 posts), but somehow the name got changed from Arnhemjim to Arnhem Jim, and I'm not sure how to correct it.

Last edited by Arnhem Jim; 17-03-19 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Clarify name and added discussion
Old 17-03-19, 11:52 PM

I have an opinion but I've had my fair share of negative vibes and do not wish to attract more.

But in for a penny; I do not personally see it as a bad thing if its sold for peanuts and is sold as a restrike.

Who would have thought that helmet from the last job would come to be so handy after all !
Old 18-03-19, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrikes-ok View Post
I have an opinion but I've had my fair share of negative vibes and do not wish to attract more.

But in for a penny; I do not personally see it as a bad thing if its sold for peanuts and is sold as a restrike.

Who would have thought that helmet from the last job would come to be so handy after all !
But therein lies the rub. If all restrikes were marked COPY we could sort the wheat from the chaff, but, as they aren't, there is nothing to stop restrikes being sold as genuine.
Old 18-03-19, 05:22 PM

Default restrikes

i agree with high wood, if restrikes were indeed back stamped copy then if you were after a particular badge to complete a frame you may be ready to buy a restrike as a filler,until you locate an original,however i personally would wait for the original to hopefully turn up.
Old 29-03-19, 11:25 AM

Wanted a 7DG shoulder title. Saw one on ebay (yes everyones fave place) I got outbidded at £17. Thats my problem. Its becoming a pastime for well off these days.
Old 29-03-19, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Wanted a 7DG shoulder title. Saw one on ebay (yes everyones fave place) I got outbidded at £17. Thats my problem. Its becoming a pastime for well off these days.
That’s the going price for many WW1 cavalry titles, some such as the 21L, 10H and the low number Dragoon and Dragoon Guards can go for a lot more.
Old 29-03-19, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Blakeman View Post
That’s the going price for many WW1 cavalry titles, some such as the 21L, 10H and the low number Dragoon and Dragoon Guards can go for a lot more.
So i can see your dilema people. If said seller dosent bother to show the back its a lottery. And £17 !!!! Found the solution. Brass engraved pates. Problem with them is inside a glass frame its hard to see the the wording. Solution you can get the letters infilled with black for a tenna a plate. Im going to build an RDG frame and put the developmental photos on my gallery.
Old 29-03-19, 02:52 PM

I don’t see it being a dilemma. It’s how much you want sonething and be prepared to pay or be patient.

For example, I had matching pairs of all WW1 cavalry titles with the exception of the 10H. I didn’t have a single one and whenever it came up went for about £40 on eBay maybe one title a year. Distraught, yes I was desperate to complete something but then a couple came up within a few months and I got them both for less than I’d seen a single one a year or so earlier.

In this hobby everything comes up sooner or later, splash out and be sure or be patient and wait till the next time. Like any auction it’s how much you want it and can afford at the time.
Old 29-03-19, 02:53 PM

I wouldn’t give up on the real thing. It’s just a matter of time until one comes up cheaper on a buy it now or is misdescribed etc. Two weeks ago I landed a genuine first pattern Tyneside Scottish for a tenner on eBay. Bargains (and the occasional miracle) do happen. Chin up, it’s just a waiting game.
Old 29-03-19, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke H View Post
I wouldn’t give up on the real thing. It’s just a matter of time until one comes up cheaper on a buy it now or is misdescribed etc. Two weeks ago I landed a genuine first pattern Tyneside Scottish for a tenner on eBay. Bargains (and the occasional miracle) do happen. Chin up, it’s just a waiting game.
Nicely done, like my GMGR. A genuine 1st pattern Tyneside is near top of my wants list.
Old 29-03-19, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Surely part of the this hobby is the chase, trying to find that badge you have always wanted and at a bargain price if possible. That's why as a Man in my fifties I still plod down to as many rainy car boot sales, sift through endless piles of tat in Antique shops and constantly question any one who will listen as to whether they still have relatives Wartime items.

Keep on looking, its still out there somewhere!

Simon.
Old 29-03-19, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post
Surely part of the this hobby is the chase, trying to find that badge you have always wanted and at a bargain price if possible. That's why as a Man in my fifties I still plod down to as many rainy car boot sales, sift through endless piles of tat in Antique shops and constantly question any one who will listen as to whether they still have relatives Wartime items.

Keep on looking, its still out there somewhere!

Simon.
Completely agree with these sentiments. Waiting for, and eventually tracking down that long-sought after item is absolutely a factor in the enjoyment of collecting. And if at such a time the quarry can be obtained for a song, all the more gratifying.

JT
Old 29-03-19, 03:51 PM

Exclamation

I get the logic of this on capbadges. However shoulder titles i dont. To me the display just has to tell the story to say 'joe public.' With that in mind badges do not tell the full cavelry story. Pics of posh uniforms, tanks and horses do, so im going to include them. Have added the start of my RDG gallery / Badge collection. Please look. A critical / sarcastic eye is understandable and expected but please don't be rude.

Last edited by Restrikes-ok; 29-03-19 at 04:57 PM.
Old 29-03-19, 05:18 PM

But to someone shoulder titles are more collectible than cap badges, likewise collars, buttons, belt buckles, pouch badges, pouch belt plates, ladies evening gown ornaments, bandsmen’s Sabretache badges, helmet plates, etc, etc. The list is endless.

Everyone has lost out in something, as I said earlier it’s who wants it more.

Actually getting a shoulder title I’ve wanted gives me more pleasure than anything, try collecting matching pairs of London Regiment ones if you really want to get frustrated.
Old 29-03-19, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Please look. A critical / sarcastic eye is understandable and expected but please don't be rude.
No one has been rude here. Everyone has harked the sentiment of ‘it will come again’ and it will. The items sought are not the Mona Lisa and one offs. There are plenty out there. It’s a buyers market in respect of the price one’s willing to pay is offset by the timeframe to acquire it in. If urgent and wanted from a dealers list it will cost a premium for sure but patience can pay dividends.