British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Off topic

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 25-09-11, 09:00 PM

Brian,

I don't know about meat mincers but I think I know where there is a bacon slicer, shop counter type. Any use?

Eddie
Old 25-09-11, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil2m View Post
I have loads of brooke bond and cigarette cards, forgot about those. I wonder where they are.

I have never heard of a meat mincer collector.

Phil
Hi Phil.

Mate, I'm weird.........well according to the wife.

So far, she's the only one of those I've collected, just as well though because if I collected those as well I wouldn't be able to finance all my other collections.

Regards
Brian
Old 25-09-11, 09:57 PM
Peter J

Some super replies here, gents.

I cannot claim anything quite as out of left field as meat mincers; my collections were positively mundane by comparison.

Surely such carryings-on can only be accounted for by The Gene .

Peter.
Old 25-09-11, 10:10 PM

The Gene, we should call him Bob!

phil
Old 25-09-11, 11:00 PM
Banned

Evening Gents,

Some great collections mentioned so far, I like many have collected various items for most of my life!

To add to some of the childhood ones: Cigarette lighters, working or not any make shape or size. Empty Bullet Cases and bits of Shrapnel from the local Ranges. As well as anything military related that friends and family would give or purchase for me including my Grandads RB Beret and Lanyard. Also Stones with holes in them and anything to do with Triumph Motor Cars! All gone now.

Later on: Zippo Lighters, Guitar Plectrums, Bayonets, more empty cases and deactivated shells, Rifles (only two), Military books and of course Badges.

I have spent the weekend reorganising My Sudy "Mushroom Corner" which is really my corner of the Dining Room. As part of this I have added to the number of frames of badges on my wall.

I personally am very happy with the results My "Fair Lady" on the other hand even though conceding that it is tidy, has likened it to living on the set of the film "Night at the Museum"

I think that it could be said that I have "The Gene"

Regards to all.

Ry
Old 26-09-11, 01:00 PM
Peter J

Thinking about my own 'hunting and gathering', I realise that in being a very keen genealogist, I hunt and gather my own genes, albeit in documented form.

More a vocation than a hobby or a collection. Anyone who has ever been bitten by the genealogy bug will know how it feels to be all-consumed by the desire to unlock your family's past; a bit like the feeling of seeking out your holy grail badge, I should imagine.

PJ
Old 26-09-11, 03:27 PM

The genealogy comment reminds me of an exchange when I was at 2 Service Battalion. Our adjutant was an RAOC exchange officer, and we shared the same unusual last name. I had to deliver some paperwork to him one day and the DCO was in the office with him.

DCO: "Are you two related?"
Cpl Herring: "Don't think so sir, but we may have relatives in the same school."
Adjt: "My mother once warned me no to delve too far into the family history."
DCO: "My mother told me our family got kicked out of Ireland for stealing sheep...or doing something to sheep."
Old 26-09-11, 04:00 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter4447 View Post
Can't claim anything so exotic but as a youngster used to collect matchbox labels (living at a seaport we often used to get some unusual 'foreigners' washed up on the seashore thrown from visiting ships). Sadly packets of labels then started to be sold in shops which were probably not genuine or at best repro - some things never change!).
I also used to collect the little triangular cheese labels as there were many brands on offer in the 50's.
Looking back to those times such things as Razor blade packets, cigarette packets, beer mats were all collected by school friends with great enthusiasm.
Peter

Peter,
interesting stuff to collect! I think it's now called recycling

Andy
Old 26-09-11, 04:04 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
This sounds like me. I also collected many different things. Now I only collect South African Badges, even though I do still have a good Coca-Cola collection in the attic.
It'll go flat if you keep it too long!

Best add it to something like Baccardi and get it drunk!

Andy
Old 26-09-11, 04:20 PM
Mr. Jackanory

Ok, I collected everything and nothing as a child. I tried, coins, stamps, autographs. When I hit the teenage years I started with cricket score cards but didn't go to enough matches.
Later teenage years it was CCF titles off other cadets and then football programmes at uni along with the obligatory beer mats.
Early twenties went into badges. Stopped for a while and then came back to them.
My first attempt at badges was everything and essentially nothing. I now just do one regiment properly and bits of two others.
I have a nice set of antique maps on the lounge wall that reflect the counties and towns that I have lived in or studied. I put a limit on which ones there as I was now aware of my collecting problem.
As for gathering, well, my business is called Hedgerow Products.... that which speaks for itself!
Old 26-09-11, 05:11 PM

I must be the exception then , as I used to collect absolutely nothing as a child...
Old 26-09-11, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2747andy View Post
It'll go flat if you keep it too long!

Best add it to something like Baccardi and get it drunk!

Andy
Oh yes, Baccardi, ummmmmmmm
Ivan
Old 26-09-11, 10:03 PM
Peter J

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LBH View Post
I must be the exception then , as I used to collect absolutely nothing as a child...
Looks like the gene kicked in, in the end though, 2LBH .

PJ

Last edited by Peter J; 26-09-11 at 10:25 PM.
Old 26-09-11, 10:45 PM

Matti.

And very tasty the products look too.

I'm still a bit of a hunter gatherer, harvesting from Mother Nature's supplies, especially fungi and to a certain extent, wild fruit.

Keep gathering.

Regards
Brian
Old 27-09-11, 08:15 AM
Member 2008-16- Rest in Peace

Quote [ As for gathering, well, my business is called Hedgerow Products.... that which speaks for itself! ] Unquote.

Matti,

Your products are very nice, you will have to visit us again, we ran out ages ago !!!

Dave.