British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Australian Military Insignia > General Topics

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 26-08-21, 01:16 PM

Default East and West Riding rgt

When the E+W R rgt formed they did not have their own cap badge and wore the badge of previous rgt. My question is did they have a unit shoulder title or still wear their previous rgt titles. or was there any badge to identify them as part of their rgt, prior to the TRF introduced 2004 i believe .
Iain
Old 26-08-21, 02:51 PM

The East and West Riding Regiment was formed from two Companies of what had previously been the 3rd Battalion of the Prince of Wales's Own regiment of Yorkshire (based in Hull and York but with detachments at Beverley and Leeds) and two Companies from the former 3rd Battalion of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment (based at Huddersfield and Barnsley with detachments at Sheffield and Keighley) and one Light Infantry Company (formed from the former King's Own Yorkshire Yeomanry (Light Infantry) which had previously been the 8th (Yorkshire) Battalion of the Light Infantry (Volunteers).
On formation both the PWO and DWR Companies retained their regimental TRFs, the LI Company (known as Minden Company) didn't wear a TRF. Soldiers of all Companies retained all their regimental badges and buttons on number two dress uniform. All regimental TRFs were eventually replaced by the TRF of the East & West Riding Regiment which was based on the formation badge of the earlier East and West Riding Area.

Hope that helps

PL
Old 26-08-21, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oc14 View Post
The East and West Riding Regiment was formed from two Companies of what had previously been the 3rd Battalion of the Prince of Wales's Own regiment of Yorkshire (based in Hull and York but with detachments at Beverley and Leeds) and two Companies from the former 3rd Battalion of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment (based at Huddersfield and Barnsley with detachments at Sheffield and Keighley) and one Light Infantry Company (formed from the former King's Own Yorkshire Yeomanry (Light Infantry) which had previously been the 8th (Yorkshire) Battalion of the Light Infantry (Volunteers).
On formation both the PWO and DWR Companies retained their regimental TRFs, the LI Company (known as Minden Company) didn't wear a TRF. Soldiers of all Companies retained all their regimental badges and buttons on number two dress uniform. All regimental TRFs were eventually replaced by the TRF of the East & West Riding Regiment which was based on the formation badge of the earlier East and West Riding Area.

Hope that helps

PL
Wot he said!
Old 26-08-21, 08:27 PM

Thank you for clearing up the badges matter. Then there was the two Yorkshire A and B [ Green Howard ] companies from the Tyne Tees regiment who joined them shortly before they became the 4th Yorkshire, but they would have worn the East and West Riding TRF which was in use by then.
Thanks again. Iain
Old 27-08-21, 10:35 AM

On the subject of the TRF's worn i take it these are the badges in question and would have been worn by the 3rd battalions of Duke of Wellingtons and Prince of wales Yorkshire. On another note any idea what the creature on black is, as i was looking for the other two badges i came across this described as 3rd P.O.W. Yorkshire which i cant see even as a novice
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D of Wellington.jpg (67.0 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg powoy.jpg (78.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg TRF.jpg (91.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 27-08-21, 10:37 AM

It's a wyvern on a torse.
Old 27-08-21, 10:54 AM

thank you, so this has nothing to do with Yorkshire then. Any idea who it belongs to, at first i was thinking Wessex but it is different as both feet on the ground.
Old 27-08-21, 11:43 AM

Whilst the first TRF was worn by the 3rd Bn Duke of Wellington's Regt, it was also worn by the regular 1st Bn.
Old 27-08-21, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain2 View Post
thank you, so this has nothing to do with Yorkshire then. Any idea who it belongs to, at first i was thinking Wessex but it is different as both feet on the ground.
That was the arm badge worn by the Champion Company of the 3 PWO

PL
Old 27-08-21, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger123 View Post
Whilst the first TRF was worn by the 3rd Bn Duke of Wellington's Regt, it was also worn by the regular 1st Bn.
Didn't it change to a smaller pattern at some stage ?

Paul
Old 27-08-21, 02:31 PM

So the Wyvern badge is just like a award for the best company within 3 POW each year ? [ sorry about all the questions, still learning ]
Old 27-08-21, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Didn't it change to a smaller pattern at some stage ?

Paul
It did.

Flippin annoying having to take off and then sew new TRF's onto everything!
Old 27-08-21, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain2 View Post
So the Wyvern badge is just like a award for the best company within 3 POW each year ? [ sorry about all the questions, still learning ]
Yes that is correct

Paul
Old 27-08-21, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Yes that is correct

Paul
Didn’t the 2nd Bn also wear one? - I’m after both (to 2nd and 3rd Bn).

Chris
Old 27-08-21, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM View Post
Didn’t the 2nd Bn also wear one? - I’m after both (to 2nd and 3rd Bn).

Chris
It was originally worn by the 2nd Battalion of the Yorkshire Volunteers who became 3 PWO

Paul