British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > General Topics > CEF BOOK PROJECT

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 01-11-15, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

Default Shoudler titles VRC

It is noted in LAC documents that the 24th Bn was wearing VRC shoulder titles as of October 1917. These would be the blackened pattern. It does not indicate the font style.
Old 01-11-15, 06:36 PM

Bill,I always thought they were of the type shown in this page...even though the seller says 1927,I presume they were the same during WW1...
Jo
P.S. sorry if I hijacked an ebay'seller page....
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Victoria-Rifl...item5420773514

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”
Donald Rumsfeld, before the Iraqi Invasion,2003.

Age is something that doesn't matter, unless you are a cheese.
Old 01-11-15, 07:16 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jo, The documents don't specify the pattern of title. There was a plain block letter shoulder as well. I was under the impression that the script font was for snr nco's / officers.
Old 01-11-15, 09:25 PM

I did a check of some photographs of the Victoria Rifles in the Notman Collection,taken in 1939 and even if the pics are not that great, it seems, that the ORs were wearing VRC in black block letters on the shoulder straps.....at the same period the officers were wearing silver cap and collar badges, the shoulder titles could not be clearly seen.......
Sorry I couldn't bee more helpful but, the VRC is one of Montreal-based unit that when they were disbanded,in 1964, their material and documents and photos were sent to a Montreal museum and were never seen again ......
Jo

“There are things we know that we know,” “There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know.”

Old 01-11-15, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Jo, Yes the VRC were essentially an English language Montreal regiment and with the chaning demography of the city there was not the population to support the number of such regiments. But during the FWW there was a substantial number of English speaking recruits, plus they drew on areas outside Montreal. Some fellows from the 159th ended up in the 24th.
Old 01-11-15, 11:07 PM

Jo, The Brockville Rifles museum actually has some of the VRC items as they were sent there when the VRC were reduced to nil strength.
Old 02-11-15, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Hussar View Post
Jo, The Brockville Rifles museum actually has some of the VRC items as they were sent there when the VRC were reduced to nil strength.

Brockville....that's a long way from Montréal....any reasons why some items was sent there, beside the fact they were both "Rifles".

Jo

Old 02-11-15, 02:58 PM

Jo, I work at the Brockville Armouries, next time the curator is around I'll ask if he has any examples and if he does I'll try to get pictures for you. Most of the VRC thing's I've noticed are mainly mess items, trophies, chairs, etc.
Old 02-11-15, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Law View Post
Jo, I work at the Brockville Armouries, next time the curator is around I'll ask if he has any examples and if he does I'll try to get pictures for you. Most of the VRC thing's I've noticed are mainly mess items, trophies, chairs, etc.

I'd appreciate very much...
Jo

Old 02-11-15, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Still begs the question; why move the artifacts to Brockville?
Richard, are there any archives from the VRC in Brockville?
Old 02-11-15, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill A View Post
Still begs the question; why move the artifacts to Brockville?
Richard, are there any archives from the VRC in Brockville?
Last night,after reading these posts about the VRC, I called a friend of mine who knows a lot more about this subject and he told me when a decision was made to close down and disband the VRC and transfer the Regt.de Maisonneuve to the VRC armoury on Cathcart St..(for those knowing Montreal)......most if not all the regiments' uniforms,various equipment, the Band's bugles and drums,and even the Officer's and Sgt's mess silver and tables,chairs and whatnot were sent to the Stewart Museum on Ile Ste-Hélène.
He told me that the museum had a display, in small room, exactly as the Sgt's mess would be in the Cathcart St. armoury with dressed dummy,a table,chairs and silverware......
When there was a major renovatrion of the Stewart museum about 20 years or more ago the VRC stuff disappeared,actual location "officially" unknown......

Jo

Last edited by Voltigeur; 02-11-15 at 03:45 PM.
Old 02-11-15, 03:38 PM

I'm not sure why Brockville was chosen - perhaps because of the Rifle affiliation, but otherwise it is beyond me. I'll pose the question to the curator; he has been here for 42 years or so and may know the answer.
Old 02-11-15, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Richard. It is confounding why and how certain things happen. (There is a set of colours that were supposedly laid up in a secondary school here in town, supported by some documentation. However, there is no further record of them.)