British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Foreign Badges and Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-10-19, 01:48 PM

Default USA beret flashed id PLEASE

Please see pic, can't find any in ref bks, THANKS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg usa623.jpg (91.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 01-11-19, 03:22 PM

Top Row

1. C Troop, 1st Squadron, 131st Cavalry Regiment
2. Airborne Procurement Team
3. 240th Medical Detachment
4. 92nd Civil Affairs Battalion
5. (Don’t know)

Middle Row

6. 861st Quartermaster Company
7. 11th Quartermaster Company
8. (Don’t know)
9. 346th Psychological Operations Company (Old Type)
10. Long Range Surveillance Detachment, 124th Military Intelligence Battalion

Bottom Row

11. Aviation Brigade 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault)
12. Special Troops Battalion, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division
13. C Troop, 3d Squadron, 124th Cavalry Regiment
14. 82nd Brigade Support Battalion
15. 84th Engineer Company
Old 05-11-19, 09:39 AM

Default US beret flashes

When I first started collecting these there were a couple of photocopied leaflets that listed every beret flash then in use (mid 80's). I spent hours colouring them all in.
Unfortunately since then there has been a proliferation of flashes produced, lots of them for "non color bearing units", non airborne etc, for wear on the recently introduced black beret for all army units ( much to the dismay of the US Army Rangers who exclusively wore black previously and therefore changed to a tan SAS type beret).

As far as I know the only definitive identification now is in "Trading Post" the magazine of ASMIC, the American Society of Military Insignia Collectors, which publishes 4 times per year and has sections on new insignia produced for the US Armed Forces.

I have effectively given up collecting these as funding beret flashes and their accompanying parachute wings backings is no longer possible because of the multitude of new insignia. Early flashes are "cut edge", but I believe all new insignia are now supposed to have "merrowed edge" - ie overstitched.

Finally, on a visit to a British Army unit, I was told that the mess manager collected these and had "some badges in his office". A British Army para, he had collected all beret and wing flashes to the 82nd Airborne Div and mounted them on a maroon backing in a couple of large picture frames. It looked awesome, especially with the metal and enamel DUI or Distinctive Unit Insignia mounted on the shields, as worn on the beret.
Regards,
Ian H