British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 29-03-19, 12:20 AM

Default Vic Officers 21st cap badge continued

Sorry Gents
I couldn't work out how to link the photos to my earlier post
anyhow here are the photos front and back
Old 29-03-19, 11:19 AM

Default 21st

my first impression is its very thin in its dimensions almost fragile but that might be the photo. I do have a few copies of this style with two loops E&W which makes me wonder 1 will dig mine out later.
Best Mac
Old 29-03-19, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbysr View Post
Sorry Gents
Is it cast ?
Andy
Old 30-03-19, 03:53 PM

Many thanks for the responses.
The badge is not cast, its quite a thick stamping, thicker than the missing tab I do have a later 4 lug version, which is pretty similar thickness but that one is a Jennings marked badge with the makers mark the lug is on this badge. To be frank the badge thickness would have to be sufficiently strong enough to avoid twisting when the blade was used

cheers
Steve
Old 30-03-19, 05:02 PM

Just from the photographs, I would have thought the badge is actually die cast in common with badges to this particular regiment.
Old 31-03-19, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kelley View Post
Just from the photographs, I would have thought the badge is actually die cast in common with badges to this particular regiment.
agree with frank
this looks like a typical die cast badge and IMO a beautiful officers example
bc
Old 31-03-19, 06:47 AM

Certainly from the photographs, I would not have any issues, what are your concerns?

Quote:
Sorry Gents
Old 31-03-19, 08:23 AM

Default 21st Lancers

My comment was just an observation I have learnt to pretty much look at some of the old standing books and opinions and now form my own.

Heres a good one non voided 21st other ranks badges often referred to as fake. However I have seen a picture and theirs no mistaking a 21st badge non voided wearing 17th/21st shoulder titles so he is C sqn 1922 - 1929. I will pick out a few badges later and post.

Mac
Old 31-03-19, 01:24 PM

Default 21st Lancers

Having looked at my collection today I like your Officers badge. I also noted Dead Spartan has a kings crown variant up the same as yours with a bit of the blade still attached. I thought yours belonged to the group I have posted photos of which I consider dubious at best.
Best Mac.
Well done on a nice Badge
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190331_134939.jpg (92.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20190331_134915.jpg (84.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 31-03-19, 03:07 PM

Hi Every one
I think you are right, it is die cast the main reason for posting is that I have never seen a 21 with a blade and lug and was trying to find out if any one had a photo of one with the blade attached, it just looks such a questionable type of attachment. But I guess there are a number of OSD badges, where the blade locations could be classed as challenging . Thanks to everyone who has replied
P.S yesterday while cruising Evil bay a noticed a 3rd Birmingham Pals up for 350quid
even with my limited knowledge it looked a howler ... how can this be possibly legal. I did send the seller some photos of genuine item, but I haven't heard back........
cheers
Steve

Last edited by Nobbysr; 31-03-19 at 03:09 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 31-03-19, 04:12 PM

Well, certainly, from the photographs you show, in my opinion, at least, the badge is a very typical original, I would have absolutely no issues whatsoever, the fixings are quite normal for the period concerned.

Quote:
Hi Every one
I think you are right, it is die cast the main reason for posting is that I have never seen a 21 with a blade and lug and was trying to find out if any one had a photo of one with the blade attached, it just looks such a questionable type of attachment. But I guess there are a number of OSD badges, where the blade locations could be classed as challenging . Thanks to everyone who has replied
P.S yesterday while cruising Evil bay a noticed a 3rd Birmingham Pals up for 350quid
even with my limited knowledge it looked a howler ... how can this be possibly legal. I did send the seller some photos of genuine item, but I haven't heard back........
cheers
Steve