British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 12-07-11, 12:12 PM

Default South African infantry badges - request info

Hello all

I have just started, as part of a larger collection, to collect current South African infantry cap badges.

I don't have any yet and haven't seen one in real life either, so I wanted to ask what should I be looking for, in terms of construction?

As a rule, are they anodised, made of brass, staybrite? Most of the badges I have seen appear to be quite old.

anyway, if any one can steer me in the right direction, it would be most appreciated.

thanks

ps, if anyone knows of a good source for the above items as well, any info would be most appreciated
Old 13-07-11, 05:07 AM

Hi,

you can try this website:
http://www.southafricanmilitaria.com/
its operated by a guy called Andrew who is also on the forum and is probably the most knowledgeable on SA badges, (no offence to any other guys)

SA badges also evolved as with other countries so you have all varieties of metals used.

I was collecting British badges as I'm originally from there and have recently started also to collect SA badges.

regards,

Iain
Old 13-07-11, 10:11 AM

Thanks for the reply Iain, you have certainly pointed me in the right direction. I have also started collecting current British infantry badges as part of a bigger collection of Commonwealth infantry badges.

thanks once again

Ron
Old 13-07-11, 10:39 AM

Smile

You could also check out Mike Rowans web, he is just as knowledgeable and has a lot to offer; go to www.militariamarket.co.za.
Bill Braine
Old 15-07-11, 08:17 AM

Thanks for that Bill, looks like a good site
Old 17-07-11, 01:54 PM

Hi Ron, The SA Infantry only used a corps badge untill the 1980's. At this time each unit had there own badge and regretably, our government has deemed it fit to return to only using Corps badges. The badges were in a variety of metals, but not anodised. Regards Andrew
Old 17-07-11, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaindh View Post
Hi,

you can try this website:
http://www.southafricanmilitaria.com/
its operated by a guy called Andrew who is also on the forum and is probably the most knowledgeable on SA badges, (no offence to any other guys)

SA badges also evolved as with other countries so you have all varieties of metals used.

I was collecting British badges as I'm originally from there and have recently started also to collect SA badges.

regards,

Iain
Thanks for the compliment. Regards Andrew
Old 19-07-11, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the info Andrew. So have they re introduced the old corps badge for infantry or is it still on the way.

It is a pity to see the old regimental badges go though it does make collecting a lot easier.
Old 19-07-11, 09:32 AM

Andrew

can you advise me of a site that shows the current South African infantry regiments in existence? I have compiled a list and yet seem to keep finding more units

thanks for your help

Ron
Old 19-07-11, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
Hi Ron, The SA Infantry only used a corps badge untill the 1980's. At this time each unit had there own badge and regretably, our government has deemed it fit to return to only using Corps badges. The badges were in a variety of metals, but not anodised. Regards Andrew
Andrew, do you mean the whole of the infantry, or only the Regular units?

Surely the Reserve units such as the Natal Carbineers, the Dukes, the Transvaal Scottish et al aren't to be deprived of their long-established badges?

Arthur
Old 19-07-11, 02:43 PM

Default SA Badges

Hi mate,
You may also like to try http://www.samilitaria.com, he has been collecting/selling for years, he's a real good guy, he's also a close friend tell him Ian from the uk sent you and will sort you out!!
Cheers
I
Old 19-07-11, 04:17 PM

When it comes to any changes of the badges and dress worn by members of the South African Army, these decisions are made by the Chief of the Army and his "army council" and not by the "government".

I have highlighted some facts from the official website/page of the SA Army Infantry Formation:

"On instruction of the Chief of the South African Army in 2000, the South African Army Infantry Formation had to find a suitable replacement for the “Bokkie”.

The project to design a new South African Army Infantry Corps Badge was driven by Warrant Officer 1 J.G.C. Schuurman, the South African Army Infantry Formation Warrant Officer. The rationale for the design of the Infantry Corps Badge was borne from intense research which is summarised in the opening paragraphs.

The South African Army Infantry Council approved the new badge on 23 June 2004.

The South African Army Council approved the new badge on 05 October 2004.

The new badge was officially unveiled and inaugurated at the South African Infantry Corps, 50th Anniversary Celebratory Function at 1 South African Army Infantry Battalion, Bloemfontein, by Major General T.M. Nkabinde, General Officer Commanding South African Army Infantry Formation on 12 November 2004.

These badges replace all unit affiliation/badges, except for the already approved Reserves badges
."
Old 19-07-11, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L1A1 View Post
Thanks for the info Andrew. So have they re introduced the old corps badge for infantry or is it still on the way.

It is a pity to see the old regimental badges go though it does make collecting a lot easier.
You can see the comments by SABrigade, but I think it is a shame. You lose all unit pride wearing corps badges only. You can check the SANDF website for info on current units. Regards Andrew
Old 19-07-11, 06:08 PM

In SA today the military and politics are very closely tied together, if we like it or not. So "army council" and "government" is 6 of one and half a dozen of another. The agenda is the same, that you should agree with that William. Regards Andrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabrigade View Post
When it comes to any changes of the badges and dress worn by members of the South African Army, these decisions are made by the Chief of the Army and his "army council" and not by the "government".

I have highlighted some facts from the official website/page of the SA Army Infantry Formation:

"On instruction of the Chief of the South African Army in 2000, the South African Army Infantry Formation had to find a suitable replacement for the “Bokkie”.

The project to design a new South African Army Infantry Corps Badge was driven by Warrant Officer 1 J.G.C. Schuurman, the South African Army Infantry Formation Warrant Officer. The rationale for the design of the Infantry Corps Badge was borne from intense research which is summarised in the opening paragraphs.

The South African Army Infantry Council approved the new badge on 23 June 2004.

The South African Army Council approved the new badge on 05 October 2004.

The new badge was officially unveiled and inaugurated at the South African Infantry Corps, 50th Anniversary Celebratory Function at 1 South African Army Infantry Battalion, Bloemfontein, by Major General T.M. Nkabinde, General Officer Commanding South African Army Infantry Formation on 12 November 2004.

These badges replace all unit affiliation/badges, except for the already approved Reserves badges
."
Old 19-07-11, 07:15 PM

No, I do not.

The Army council consists of e.g. the Chief of Force Preparation, Warrant Officer of the Army and other senior military members.

I personally sat on it a few times and only military matters were or are discussed, it has absolutely nothing to do with the government.