British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > General Topics.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 22-10-11, 05:38 AM

Exclamation Possible error re "Cadet" Cap Badge

In the Post 1953 Canadian section, you show a Cadet Instructor List Cap Badge (first issue)... after clicking on the link "Cadets Canada" one reaches a page with 4 cap badges on it:
top, Royal Canadian Army Cadets, as listed,
2nd badge (when issued) was for all Officers in the Cadet Instructor's List (which was renamed Cadet Instructor Cadré in the late 1990's);
3rd Badge is NOT an Air Cadet Cap Badge, but, rather a Cadet Instructor Cadré (Air) Cap Badge (worn by Officers whlo instruct Cadets and run the Squadrons. (There are, of course 2 missing here, the CIC Sea and CIC Land cap badges).
the 4th badge is, as listed, a French Air Cadet Cap Badge.
The 1st issue badge was promptly nicknamed "the corn flake" and most Cadet Officers tried to find ways to not wear it (especially Army types who usually wore their "Affiliated Unit" Cap Badge). Surprisingly, the boys at HQ decided to provide 3 separate badges - The Army one has crossed swords and the Navy one has an anchor. (The name Cadet Instructor's Cadré was chosen as it could be used in either of Canada's 2 official languages.)
Btw - you won't find a Sea Cadet Cap Badge as they retained that "round" sailor's Cap even after the change to the CF Green bus dirver suit .. er, uniform. (I think you just might have detected my disdain for the Green bag!)

Last edited by fred597; 22-10-11 at 05:39 AM. Reason: minor clarification
Old 22-10-11, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred597 View Post
Btw - you won't find a Sea Cadet Cap Badge as they retained that "round" sailor's Cap even after the change to the CF Green bus dirver suit .. er, uniform. (I think you just might have detected my disdain for the Green bag!)
There is a Royal Canadian Sea Cadet cap badge. I saw them worn by staff and cadets at the Cadet Summer Training School Borden. It allowed all cadets to wear berets while attending combined courses such as band and athletic leadership.

Phil
Old 25-10-11, 05:50 AM

Must have been something created after I left the Cadet Organization in 1986.
Old 25-10-11, 11:30 AM

I saw the RC Sea Cadet cap badges being worn by cadets and staff in the summer of 1983. I paid attention to such things even then.

Phil
Old 26-10-11, 05:27 PM

The RCSCC beret badge is just very rarely seen. They crop up occassionally, and the ones I've seen lately are recent manufacture. Perhaps the League has been producing them for wear with combat or naval combat uniform.
Old 27-10-11, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Quote:
3rd Badge is NOT an Air Cadet Cap Badge, but, rather a Cadet Instructor Cadré (Air) Cap Badge (worn by Officers whlo instruct Cadets and run the Squadrons. (There are, of course 2 missing here, the CIC Sea and CIC Land cap badges).

Have changed the 3rd badge title to as described above, and added the note on badge No.2

Was hoping someone was going to post pics of the missing badges. Anyway, sure we will see examples of the missing badges eventually.
Old 28-10-11, 03:52 PM

If I get around to it I'll post all of the CSofC, CIL (Land), and CIC (Army) stuff I've collected. I don't collect any of the Navy or Airforce badging.
Old 24-10-12, 06:50 AM

Default Current Projects - Canadian Badges

You currently have 7 sections in this item, perhaps you should consider adding an additional section ... Post 1968 Badges. In 1968, Canada made, IMHO, a big mistake by amalgamating her 3 Forces into one "Canadian Armed Forces" with a "CF Green" Uniform for all 3 .... and, created a whole slew of "new" cap badges by dividing the Forces into "Branches".
The Navy became the Naval Branch, Radio Operators became members of the Communications Branch; Supply and Transport became "Logistics" Branch and so on. All of these Branches had their own different Cap Badges.
Most Army Regiments, however, did manage to keep their Regimental Cap, Collar, shoulder flash and shoulder titles insignia.
My suggestion is that you have a "Canadian Post 1968" category for those badges - propbably as # 5 on your list and renumber the remainder accordingly.
Some of the post-1968 badges are already listed in the Post-1953 section.
I'll make a list and send it in tomorrow night ... as it is getting late right now.
Old 24-10-12, 07:10 AM

Default Command Badge Correction

In your Post-1953 Canadian Badges section, you also have a Listing of CF Command Badges.
The one listed as "Fighter Command" should actually read "Air Defence Command" .
Old 26-10-12, 07:07 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred597 View Post
In your Post-1953 Canadian Badges section, you also have a Listing of CF Command Badges.
The one listed as "Fighter Command" should actually read "Air Defence Command" .

Hi Fred, now corrected

Tags
cadet badges, canadian, command badges