British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-02-11, 12:04 AM

Default Pith Helmet colour flash

Hello all,

i am trying to identify this flash on a 1915 dated Solar topee pith Helmet.It is Indian issue as worn by British and commonwealth troops in WW1.This example is in a New Zealand collection ,but the insignia remains a mystery at the moment.Half khaki/half red

cheers iain
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 101_1518.jpg (44.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 101_1525.jpg (53.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 16-02-11, 12:39 AM

If it were Australian I'd have said it was the brown/red colour patch of 59th Bn AIF in WW1, but I doubt it.
Old 16-02-11, 03:11 AM

I might add that someone has hand written A.D.WA inside the helmet.Not a Nz name or unit.It might have some significance to another country?
Old 16-02-11, 10:07 AM
Badge Guru

Pukaman,

When you say indian issue do you mean there is a broad arrow and the letter I inside? Or is there an Indian manufacturers label?
Old 16-02-11, 05:52 PM

Hello Jibba Jabba,

Yes,the answer is both.a H G & R LtD 1915 inside an oval and a broadarrow over a stylised I.Both in purple ink

cheers
Old 16-02-11, 05:55 PM

Hello Jibba Jabba,

Yes,the answer is both.a H G & R LtD 1915 inside an oval and a broadarrow over a stylised I.Both stamped in purple ink

cheers
Old 16-02-11, 06:24 PM

Hello iain

For my two pennies worth the flash just shouts out Australia to me.

Cheers

Dave
Old 16-02-11, 07:03 PM

WA for West Africa?

Postwarden
Old 16-02-11, 09:20 PM
Badge Guru

The manufacturer is Hepburn, Gale & Ross Ltd. Sadly they supplied to to GB, NZ, Australia and India.
In my opinion this topee belongs to an Indian Army unit, hence the inspection mark.

If it were Australian I would expect the other side of the colour path to be chocolate brown. I am unsure how the sun or any ageing process could turn it into a field grey?

I could be wrong. It could be a helmet removed from Indian army stores by NZ or Australian troops. They certainly came into contact with each other during the campaign in Palestine. Convincing a collector however, of this exchange of equipment, is losing battle which I wouldnt suggest you embark upon.

Last edited by Jibba Jabba; 16-02-11 at 09:37 PM.
Old 16-02-11, 09:47 PM

'If it were Australian I would expect the other side of the colour path to be chocolate brown. I am unsure how the sun or any ageing process could turn it into a field grey?'

Fair comment, unless the patch was made up when the 59th was first formed in Egypt with half the veterans of the 7th Bn and half new recruits. The vets would have just turned their 7th patches on their sides, but the new recruits may have been short of patches, which could then have been made up of scraps of available cloth. Of course, this could also be pure bull****, but I've seen some interesting improvisations and variations during my time as a collector!
Old 16-02-11, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettman View Post
'If it were Australian I would expect the other side of the colour path to be chocolate brown. I am unsure how the sun or any ageing process could turn it into a field grey?'

Fair comment, unless the patch was made up when the 59th was first formed in Egypt with half the veterans of the 7th Bn and half new recruits. The vets would have just turned their 7th patches on their sides, but the new recruits may have been short of patches, which could then have been made up of scraps of available cloth. Of course, this could also be pure bull****, but I've seen some interesting improvisations and variations during my time as a collector!
When it comes to flashes and uniform worn in the field there is often quite a difference between what was supposed to be worn and what was actually worn. It is usually quite a range of variation even between soldiers in the same unit.
Lee
Old 16-02-11, 11:01 PM

Some New Zealander infantry wore an unofficial flash/patch in Egypt an during the Gallipoli campaign.We know from examples and from photographic evidence that was made from an infantry pugaree which was khaki/red/khaki .Unfortunitly i have found no evidence as yet as for variations on this.Maybe some one can enlighten me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00773.jpg (36.5 KB, 11 views)