British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 25-06-14, 12:18 AM

Default More badges for ID

Any ideas on the identity of any of these?

1. I think that this is a Malawi Army cap badge. Was it worn on its own or in conjunction with another badge?

Badges for ident pics 17 june 14 Malawi.jpg

Badges for ident pics 17 june 14 Malawi rev.jpg

2. This looks to be a skill-at-arms badge but I haven't come across this configuration before. Due to the orientation of the star, it looks like it was meant to be worn with the rifle in the vertical. Any ideas?

Badges for ident pics 17 june 14 Rifle and star.jpg

3. This BWVC badge is sand cast and looks typical of most pre-independence Indian badges. It has a pin on the reverse, perhaps for attachment to a turban and looks a little tarnished on the reverse, indicating some silver content, possibly an officer's badge. I'm tempted to think the 'VC' is 'volunteer corps', but am unable to find anything that would fit. Could I be looking in the wrong place?

Badges for ident pics 17 june 14 BWVC.jpg

Badges for ident pics 17 june 14 BWVC rev.jpg

4. This is an unusual badge. The design is Scottish, as is the central crown. It looks to be of good quality, it is gilt and has withstood being buried somewhere for some time. Some corrosion is evident on the reverse. It looks to have once been fitted with a slider. The initials, CAVC, lead me to think volunteer corp or volunteer cavalry.

Badges for ident pics 17 june 14 CAVC.jpg

Badges for ident pics 17 june 14 CAVC rev.jpg

Views welcome.
Many thanks.
George