British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Common Forums > The Home Front

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 17-11-18, 10:15 PM

Default Green enamel national service badge

Hi guys, a friend of mine found this while out walking locally in Sheffield, I have never come across anything like it before and am wondering if anyone might know anything about it?? Rear is marked Thomas Fattorini Regent Street Birmingham..
Many thanks in advance
James

Last edited by Jambobbyb; 18-11-18 at 04:04 PM.
Old 18-11-18, 05:23 PM

Location: A Yorkshireman in exile 'Up North' and an ‘Honorary Smoggie’.

Given that it is a national service war exemption badge for a company in Sheffield and appears to have the issue number to the base, the most likely answer would be that it was for a worker in one of the many steel plants, rolling mills or foundries in Sheffield - the Steel Industry was the major industry in the city and its surrounds for many years and will have been vital to the war effort. The initials ‘DF’ or ‘FD’ ......cannot find anything for ‘DF’, but in respect of FD then a possibility would be Firth-Derihon Stampings, Forged Component Manufacturer, on Sheffield Road, Tinsley. This firm has been around since approx 1919 / 1920 and were certainly still operating during the Second World War.
Cheers
James
Old 19-11-18, 08:15 PM

Hi Charlie, many thanks for the reply I’m convinced it’s real just haven’t seen one like this before. I agree entirely I think it’s highly likely it’s a local piece to one of the local factories.
Many thanks
James