British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Police

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 03-11-12, 08:39 AM

Default BSAP WW1 tunic and insignia

DEC 2010 C21.jpg

The British South Africa Police fought with distinction during the African campaigns of World War 1.

They participated in actions against Germany's colonial interests in the Caprivi Strip (then part of German West Africa and now Namibia).

They also fought in East Africa (Tanzania) and they recived a battle honour for participation in this campaign.
Old 03-11-12, 08:46 AM

DEC 2010 C23.jpg

DEC 2010 C22.jpg

Brass slouch hat or helmet badge worn 1898 to 1949.

The badge is mounted on the original Wolseley pattern helmet.
Old 03-11-12, 08:51 AM

DEC 2010 C26.jpg

DEC 2010 C24.jpg

DEC 2010 C27.jpg

Detail of the tunic showing service stripes, buttons and shoulder title.
Old 03-11-12, 09:01 AM

rose king's certificate.jpg

The King's Certificate of discharge was awarded under the auspices of Army Orders 138 and 139 in May 1918.

This specific certificate accompanied the tunic and therefore could make it attributable to Edwin Claude Rose 454 Pte Rhodesia Rgt, A 220 Cpl British South Africa Police.

Rose was discharged in 1916.
Old 05-11-12, 02:02 PM

Very interesting, first I have seen service stripes on the bottom of the sleeve, did not know that they were used in the BSAP
Regards
Bill (Ex BSAP)
Old 13-11-12, 08:20 AM

DEC 2010 C25.jpg

BSAP belt, I am not sure of the period when it was used/worn.
Old 20-11-12, 07:51 PM

Hullo William

Very nice uniform!! The leather belt is from the 1970s. This bloke should be wearing pattern 08 webbing in the field. If he was off duty he would be wearing a brown leather SAM Brown belt if he was an officer but in this case for an OR he should be wearing a brown leather belt with a brass "S" clasp type buckle. Have attached an example for interest.

Regards

Dudley
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Belt leather WW1.jpg (42.6 KB, 20 views)
Old 13-04-13, 01:55 PM

The BSAP raised A and B Companies of the Special Reserve (each 125 strong), which deployed to the Northern Rhodesia border with German East Africa in August 1915. The two companies were formed with regular members of the BSAP and volunteers who joined as 'hostilities only' police reservists. The regimental number of A220 issued to Corporal Rose indicates he was a reservist and not a regular.

The overseas service stripes I find somewhat strange. Firstly they were not worn by the BSAP. Secondly they were only instituted in May 1918. If, as you say, Rose was discharged in 1916, he would not have been in uniform in 1918 and therefore would not have worn the overseas service stripes.

Finally, as the Special Reserve companies did not deploy until late 1915 and Rose was discharged in 1916 he would have only completed one full year of overseas service at most. This being the case, even if the BSAP did wear overseas service stripes he would at most only have been eligible to wear on blue stripe.

Finally the BSAP do not have Regimental Colours and therefore do not have any 'battle honours'. The Rhodesia Native Regiment, of which the BSAP supplied the majority of officers and senior NCO's were awarded colours and the battle honour East Africa 1916.
Old 14-04-13, 04:55 AM

Thanks for the detailed information and assistance.

The tunic is as I received it and given the many anomalies of dress regulations, soldiers were entitled to keep their uniforms on discharge, he may have added the insignia after the war.
Old 14-04-13, 07:08 AM

Hello sunraydeltagolf, I notice this is your first post but suspect you may have been around the forum rather longer. This ex 'A' Reservist (Bulawayo Central) found your comments very interesting and hopes you will post more often on this subject.

Best wishes,
John
Old 14-04-13, 03:43 PM

Hi William
Have you been able to find out any details about the wearer? It interests me that he was disabled in the Great War, do you know what happened to him? I have one of these certs to a Cameron Highlander and am trying to find out more info.
Cheers,
Alex
Old 17-04-13, 05:13 AM

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately with my travels I have not been able to spend much time on all my items and have been working on the higher profile medal groups etc in anticipation of the WW1 and 1914 rebellion centenary next year.

I have been cut-off in the center of Mogadishu over the past few days and hope to leave for Nairobi tomorrow.

I posted this tunic on another forum a long time back and this was some of the responses from members:

" Vide WO 372/17 Edwin Claude ROSE 454 Pte Rhodesia Rgt,also A 220 Cpl British South African (sic) Police

Initially A member of 1 Rhodesia Regiment, entitled to 1914-15 Star, BWM & VM, first theatre of war entered was "4a" on 3/10/1915.

The MIC shows his details as a member of The BSAP as those on the Star, & theres a note that the Star was claimed by 1 Rhod Regt
."

Regards,

Will
Old 18-04-13, 01:01 AM

Good Morning Gentlemen,
A very interesting thread thankyou for sharing this with us, I have a question, and have posted this before but no-one could help, so I am hoping someone may know be able too?
I am trying to get my Grandfathers BSAP WW2 uniform together but when he died, some 30 years ago, I was not interested it that sort of thing, (I had just found out about women and beer!!), now I wished I had stoped him from having a "big bonfire", so my question is......does anyone know or have any pictures of the WW2 BSAP uniform, I think he was an inspector, if that helps?
Thanks in advance
Stay well
BM
Old 18-04-13, 08:03 AM

Default BSAP WW2 Uniform

BM
If you can get hold of Tim Wright's excellent History of The Northern Rhodesia Police,on Page 223 you will find a photograph c1938 depicting a BSAP Officer in what appears to be rural summer uniform.This may help.
Old 18-04-13, 03:00 PM

HI 1314,
I have heard of this book but up until now have been unable to get a copy!, I don't suppose you have it and could scan the page for me?
Stay well
BM