British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Canadian Military Insignia > Infantry

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 08-12-09, 01:45 PM
Former Member

Question CEF 19th Lincoln Regiment - Some questions?

Gentlemen,
one for the Canadian Collectors. I've just obtained this badge which is Superb in quality. Measures 48 x 50 mm and is die struck from a heavy copper like metal (may have been blackened at one stage), 2 original lug fittings to the rear with a circular makers plate "J.R. GAUNT & SON LTD LONDON". I note that it is absent from the CEF Gallery (more than happy for the use of this image or I can provide more). My questions are, is it scarce (as no image in gallery), is it an Officers or ORs badge and forgive me asking but an approx value?

Thanks in advance

Andy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CIMG1251.jpg (71.8 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1252.jpg (75.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg CIMG1253.jpg (42.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 08-12-09, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

Hello Andy, It is a pre-1914 militia period badge. The Canadian militia was organized by numbered regiments before the FWW. This leads to some confusion with CEF numbered battalions. The 19th Lincoln badge was authorized in 1912.
It is not a common badge but not scare either. Valuation is difficult, but I would think $60 to $75 Cdn would be a start.
Old 08-12-09, 05:38 PM
Former Member

Thanks Bill,
information and speed of response very much appreciated!

Andy
Old 08-12-09, 07:21 PM

Default 19th Regt

If you have access to Mazeas book(Militia Badges Pre-1914) , it is badge MM.95 on page 86. I have one of those that I bought in the UK but I am a little unsure about the badge - sometimes I think that it just looks to "new". It is nice to see another one.

Larry
Old 08-12-09, 07:25 PM
Former Member

Larry,
thanks for the reference, however I do not have access to a copy!

Best regards - Andy
Old 08-12-09, 09:08 PM

Interesting to note, the CEF 19th Bn badge looks very similar to this one - I'll post a pic when I get the chance. I assume this was done intentionally but I am not sure of the connection. The regiment most closely associated with the CEF 19th Bn is the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders, not the Lincoln Regiment. The Argylls contributed many men to the CEF 19th and are the regiment who perpetuated them after the war.
Cheers, Ian.
Old 09-12-09, 04:15 AM

I just saw one of the 19th L&W at a Burlington show just this fall. I understand from a fellow I know that a number of them where around as the AS&HofC Sgt's mess had a number of plaques done up with some years back and caught the error afterwards.
Old 20-06-14, 08:59 PM

Default Common re-strike.

Despite the makers tab, this badge (and the 29th Waterloo Regiment) are among the most commonly sold re-strikes from the 1901-20 period. The information below applies to both the 19th and 29th badges:

The authentic tabs are often arched like a rainbow rather than round. The authentic round tabs are larger than the fake round tabs: if you can see a bit of weldy, concentric line around the round tab it's a re-strike. Re-strike badges are a shiny dark metal in mint condition, authentic ones are either browning brass or a yellow metal.

I have authentic and fake versions for the cap badges of both the 19th and the 29th - photos included.