British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > South African Military and Police Insignia > Army

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 16-11-21, 01:29 AM

Default Maritzburg Rifles

I have been meaning to post the following images for everyone's benefit of the following Maritzburg Rifles badges.

I sometimes wonder if I am taking the hobby to a whole new level as I find myself increasingly trying to justify that I must keep different versions of badges for the smallest variances
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SA1007.jpg (43.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg SA1006.jpg (48.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 24-11-21, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahldm View Post
I have been meaning to post the following images for everyone's benefit of the following Maritzburg Rifles badges.

I sometimes wonder if I am taking the hobby to a whole new level as I find myself increasingly trying to justify that I must keep different versions of badges for the smallest variances
That's what makes this hobby so challenging at times... I think I must have about 15 variations of the Natal Carbineers.
Old 25-11-21, 12:23 AM

Well said
Old 25-11-21, 12:27 AM

Maritzburg, That's a fairly common problem. One thing that helps though is to see someone else's collection, and then it's very easy to not get hooked - NOT!!!

For example, I saw Jerry's collection of WRAC cap badges and have been seeking every version I can lay my hands on! Not to mention other areas I had no idea I be interested in collecting just from seeing their collection.

Main thing is do what you enjoy and have fun.

Terry
Old 25-11-21, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Guard View Post
Maritzburg, That's a fairly common problem. One thing that helps though is to see someone else's collection, and then it's very easy to not get hooked - NOT!!!

For example, I saw Jerry's collection of WRAC cap badges and have been seeking every version I can lay my hands on! Not to mention other areas I had no idea I be interested in collecting just from seeing their collection.

Main thing is do what you enjoy and have fun.

Terry
Agreed.

One thing that I have realised that is a key contributor to driving this behaviour is that over time, as the collection grows, it gets to a point where you have the more common badges. Because all collectors like something new for their collections and the scarce badges do not appear frequently, I find myself looking for differences .

That said I would have it no other way ... that's what 40 years of collecting has done for me and I am sure for most of us in the Forum
Old 26-11-21, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shahldm View Post
Agreed.

One thing that I have realised that is a key contributor to driving this behaviour is that over time, as the collection grows, it gets to a point where you have the more common badges. Because all collectors like something new for their collections and the scarce badges do not appear frequently, I find myself looking for differences .

That said I would have it no other way ... that's what 40 years of collecting has done for me and I am sure for most of us in the Forum
Definitely, also in and out collecting badges for some 50 years, as and when finances allowed.... sadly the rare options have become extremely expensive.
Recall going into a shop in Durban when I was about 10 and there were thousands of badges in a huge scratch box... 20 cents a badge! In another cabinet were piles of genuine German regalia.. remember one a Blockade Runner badge still in its case going for around R20..for us it was a fortune! Begged my Dad to buy it for me and he was "not having any Jerry stuff especially at that ridiculous price!" Broke my heart that day
Old 27-11-21, 03:18 PM

Hi Shahl, I have the same problem. I have managed to find 3 variations of the badge. Have a great day. Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MaritzburgA.jpg (90.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 28-11-21, 01:04 AM

Tx for sharing Andrew
Old 14-12-21, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traist View Post
Hi Shahl, I have the same problem. I have managed to find 3 variations of the badge. Have a great day. Andrew
Nice collection Andrew.
Old 15-12-21, 11:15 AM

Ya, I've basically given up collecting the early SA badges because they cost too much and there are far too many....just stick to a few here and there!
Old 15-12-21, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Rice View Post
Ya, I've basically given up collecting the early SA badges because they cost too much and there are far too many....just stick to a few here and there!
Alex agree 100%, I've got a lot more selective of late, yes they have become very pricey.
Old 15-12-21, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Conyngham View Post
Nice collection Andrew.
Thank you