British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > Everything Else > Other Militaria

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 19-02-10, 04:45 AM

Default Bugle

Picked this bugle up at a recent auction. Has some age as its heavier construction than the newer ones. Only marking is on the mouthpiece, Boosey & Co. London. Anyone know what regiment the cordage represents? British? Canadian? Thx Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bugle1.jpg (63.2 KB, 40 views)
Old 19-02-10, 05:12 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by barriefield-brian View Post
Picked this bugle up at a recent auction. Has some age as its heavier construction than the newer ones. Only marking is on the mouthpiece, Boosey & Co. London. Anyone know what regiment the cordage represents? British? Canadian? Thx Brian
I would'nt necessarily place 100% confidence in the cordage and bugle belonging together. The bugle looks quite old, the cordage does'nt - and I would have thought that it might have shown signs of fading - it looks pristine to me - unless its the picture..
All the same, its a nice piece.
Old 19-02-10, 09:04 AM
Badge Guru

If I remember correctly Boosey operated prior to 1933. After this date it became Boosey and Hawkes.

Mouth peices arent anything to go bay as far as bugle collecting. They were often replaced.

Sadly i cannot say if your bugle is original or not the pic is too small.
Old 22-02-10, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
I would'nt necessarily place 100% confidence in the cordage and bugle belonging together. The bugle looks quite old, the cordage does'nt - and I would have thought that it might have shown signs of fading - it looks pristine to me - unless its the picture..
All the same, its a nice piece.
Yes, I think you are right, the cordage does not seem to have the same age as the bugle. I have one dated 1916 with green cordage that is faded. Thx Brian
Old 22-02-10, 05:06 AM

Location: In Luxembourg for the last 20 years and staying. They take much better care of us here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by barriefield-brian View Post
Yes, I think you are right, the cordage does not seem to have the same age as the bugle. I have one dated 1916 with green cordage that is faded. Thx Brian
Brian,
Not sure where this may lead you... but, there was a very interesting website - referred to in a recent Canadian post - about a picture that had been 'doctored' with a fake Canadian badge - being worn during this war.
Bear with me.... on having a 'wander' around the web site there was also a section on bugles....... and of the various types used. You may want to have a browse of the site.
Fascinating stuff about alleged 'in combat' pictures that were actually 'posed for' ones - no surpise there then.....
But then, my stepfather told me that a lot of the pictures from this era were posed - and he told me this in the 1950's, so I don't see why the website keeps going on about it, its not new news..... I digress.
However, from your point of view - the website also includes various articles and pictures of bugles etc and may prove useful to you.
Good luck. david
Old 22-02-10, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wright241 View Post
Brian,
Not sure where this may lead you... but, there was a very interesting website - referred to in a recent Canadian post - about a picture that had been 'doctored' with a fake Canadian badge - being worn during this war.
Bear with me.... on having a 'wander' around the web site there was also a section on bugles....... and of the various types used. You may want to have a browse of the site.

However, from your point of view - the website also includes various articles and pictures of bugles etc and may prove useful to you.
Good luck. david
This is probably it:

http://www.angloboerwarmuseum.com/Bo...gles6_wwi.html
Old 23-02-10, 02:49 AM

Thank you for the link to that site, its very interesting. Here is some pics of my 2 older bugles. Also have one with the U.S. crest on it but it is very light construction. Thx Brian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bugle1.jpg (52.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg bugle2.jpg (76.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg bugle3.jpg (55.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 23-02-10, 04:13 PM

Regarding bugles. I was in the UK in November and there seemed to be an awful lot of bugles with regimental cap badges applied to the bell. They all seemed to have green and red cords and were showing up in gift shops and "antique" stores.
Something to be aware of.

Phil
Old 23-02-10, 04:43 PM

Yes, stear clear of them. Your new one at least has a good mouth piece, the copies dont have a correct one. The main body should also be chunky and have a copper look as the one with a green cord. I'm no expert but I don't like to see a fine chain connecting the mouthpiece, which is fastened with a bendy bit of wire. Cheers, Paul.