British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals.

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 09-08-08, 10:04 AM

Default Royal Signals, Piper ?????

I picked the badges in the pictures up last weekend at a car boot sale with some other unconnected items.

I had not looked closely at the embroidered badge thinking it was "only" a cut down blazer badge, but when I came to look more closer it is actually sewn on to tartan material from which it has now been cut.

I cannot imagine anyone wearing a tartan blazer and I am begining to wonder if it is actually a blazer badge or if it has been worn on a uniform.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

P.B.

P.S. the tartan, or as much as can been seen is dark blue with a white/light coloured horizontal line,a very small space and then a green horizontal line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF8124.jpg (62.3 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF8133.jpg (37.4 KB, 34 views)

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 09-08-08, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Having been to Normandy last June with a Royal Signals piper, I can definately say that this badge is not part of the Royal Signals Piper's regalia.
It is also the 'wrong' tartan for RSIGNALS tartan backing as worn by 32 Scottish (V) Signal Regt or the Royal Signals pipes.

Alan
Old 09-08-08, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Haing blown up the badge I would suggets that is not a tartan at all but is a vertical stripe of Royal Signals 'Corps' colours (green, dark blue and light blue) on a Navy background. The correct proportions for these colours are 3/7,1/7 and 3/7s which matches the cloth. The colours should be rotated with light blue as the top stripe and the green the bottom stripe. The 3 colours are the 3 mediums of air, sea and earth that the Corps communicates over.

It is possible that this is indeed a blazer badge - I have seen Officers wearing Corps Colour blazer badges in the past but generally they had broader stripes. However while such a coloured blazer is generally the preserve of senior officers (with a touch of the theatrical about their dress sense), the blazer badge is very 'Sgts' Mess and no self respecting officer would wear one without considerable ridicule. Most Officers content themselves with Corps brass buttons instead although you do get the odd LE Officer who keeps his blazer badge on (especially those from the SF or Para fraternity with their own distinctive badge).

Alan

Last edited by Alan O; 09-08-08 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-08-08, 03:14 PM
David Douglas

Default Royal Signals etc.

I agree with Alan - Blazer badge it is and never, never worn by officers ! An officer or former officer would wear the Corps tie and, perhaps, blazer buttons but definitely not a blazer badge. As an additional point of protocol, a male officer would also never be uncovered - he would always wear a hat or cap. Of course, some things have slipped in recent years but undress code is as important as dress code to anyone with an esprit-du-corps. Regards - sorry for sounding like an old f..rt. Keep smiling. David
Old 09-08-08, 03:25 PM

Thanks Alan and David,
Cannot quite see where what officers might or might not wear ( including on their heads ) comes into it, it is after all 2008, but thanks.

P.B.

Members welcome in my private Facebook group “The Kings Liverpool Regiment ( 1685-1958 )”
Old 09-08-08, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry my point was that Blazer badges are worn by Sgts but they do not wear Corps coloured blazers, so whatever piece of Corps coloured cloth it was backed with was probably not part of a blazer.

However it is definately not a tartan either and does not feature in any Royal Signals order of dress that I know of.

Alan
Old 09-08-08, 03:44 PM

Alan,

That is the whole point of my thread, I initially thought the badge was a blazer badge, as my initial thread says,so why was this badge backed with something other than plain coloured cloth ?

Despite the replies to the thread, I dont think my question has been answered. It may be that the badge was backed with the only piece of spare cloth available.

P.B.

Old 09-08-08, 07:43 PM
David Douglas

8th Foot - Forgive the reference to protocol but, 2008 or not, it still exists - and I was simply following comment made on the thread by an earlier posting. You had questioned - after a second inspection of your purchase - whether or not it was a blazer badge cut down. It is. There is no tartan nor should there be and it certainly has no connection with 32 Sqn. Perhaps I should be more selective on the posts I make and, if so, the fault is clearly mine. Regards. David
Old 10-08-08, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Douglas View Post
I agree with Alan - Blazer badge it is and never, never worn by officers ! An officer or former officer would wear the Corps tie and, perhaps, blazer buttons but definitely not a blazer badge. As an additional point of protocol, a male officer would also never be uncovered - he would always wear a hat or cap. Of course, some things have slipped in recent years but undress code is as important as dress code to anyone with an esprit-du-corps. Regards - sorry for sounding like an old f..rt. Keep smiling. David
David,

When you say "An officer or former officer would wear the Corps tie and, perhaps, blazer buttons but definitely not a blazer badge." Are you referring to the Signal Corps specifically or British Officers in general?. My father was an officer in the RAF and proudly wore two blazer badges. One blazer with the RAF crest and one with the RAF Association crest, along with his RAF tie.

Michael
Old 10-08-08, 05:12 AM

Here is a blazer badge to the Royal Signals. Slight variation. Probably manufacturer's variation.

http://www.badgeofpride.com/Blazer%2...%20Signals.htm

Michael
Old 10-08-08, 10:19 AM
David Douglas

I can't speak for the RAF but as a former serving Army officer, I know that the established protocol is as I described it. That does not mean that absolutely everyone adhered to it. Regards. David
Old 10-08-08, 11:27 AM

im ex signals,and i would agree with david.firstly in my opinion its a blazer badge.secondly.there is an unofficial order of dress in mufti.officers dont wear blazer badges,do usually wear headgear and normally wear a suit in preference to blazer and flannels.im very active in my old rgt old comrades association [not sigs]and attend many functions around the country involving many units.and base my comments on this experience.