British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 18-08-19, 03:12 PM

Default VERY LATEST UK SPECIAL FORCES MULTICAM INSIGNIA

Seen this on eBay as VERY LATEST UK SPECIAL FORCES MULTICAM INSIGNIA

Can you confirm this or not please?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l500I4PS3RPO.jpg (34.5 KB, 190 views)

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 21-08-19, 12:53 PM

Default SF badges

As nobody else has responded, here's my effort;

A) nobody in the Special Forces community will confirm or deny that anything is ever SF. It would compromise OPSEC which is operational security and PERSEC which is personal security.
B) of the very few who manufacture or collect SF insignia, some of whom visit this forum, nobody will confirm whether this is original as doors previously open may close (see A above)
C) if you have read the available info and looked at photos, including threads on here you will note that some dealers only need a sniff of an SF badge to start producing copies with which to make themselves a lot of money. Badges for the alleged SAS Squadrons A and B, and the SBS, have suffered this fate. We're obviously kept in the dark about other SF units such as the SRR, Special Recce Regiment and 18 Signal Regiment, including the Sigs Squadrons and Troops attached to other units, for a very good reason. The bad guys are always looking for info on SF units.

In short, the only info about this badge is "if it's real, we can't tell you, if it's fake you might just be told that it's NOT real".

Ian H
Old 21-08-19, 12:59 PM

Ian, thanks for taking the time to reply. I am not a collector of SF items unless the RE were involved but I thought I would ask the question anyway.

Jerry

JERRY
ROYAL ENGINEERS/BRITISH ARMY CORPS & SERVICES/BRITISH LEGION/ROYAL BRITISH LEGION (see albums)
Old 21-08-19, 03:28 PM

This is probably the daftest questions that I have ever asked but someone has to ask it.

Why do the Special Forces wear insignia that identifies them as Special Forces if, for what ever valid reason, they do not want to be recognised as Special Forces?
Old 21-08-19, 03:37 PM

Have to say I wondered that too, worked with SF on a few Operations during my Service and was lucky to find them wearing a complete issued uniform let alone any identifying insignia or badges.

Simon.
Old 21-08-19, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawthorn View Post
Have to say I wondered that too, worked with SF on a few Operations during my Service and was lucky to find them wearing a complete issued uniform let alone any identifying insignia or badges.

Simon.
I am very pleased that it is not just me then.
Old 21-08-19, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wood View Post
This is probably the daftest questions that I have ever asked but someone has to ask it.

Why do the Special Forces wear insignia that identifies them as Special Forces if, for what ever valid reason, they do not want to be recognised as Special Forces?
Can't speak on how British SOF units on the wear and use of "patches."However I am familiar with US SOF OEF/OIF theater made patches as I collect some of them from either veterans or in one case an individual who is the go to individual for one of the groups and has them made for the teams.

Because of the GWOT and the mix of Coalition nations serving alongside US forces, they have adopted what the Americans have been doing for 100 years, meaning that units/individuals serving in theatre want a souvenir or as in the case of US SF teams have or create a rotational patch for each deployment.

Here lays the problem, dude walks into sew shop ask for 25 patches, provides the design, comes back 3 days later pays for and collects. The shop owners are savvy and if they have material left over make 5 more off the same run,put on the board for sale. Collector/serving individuals come in buy the patch's , sew shop makes more. They know who are SOF units, any guy with a beard...

Now in the case of ebay dealers, they get a sniff send an email/design and money to a friend serving including coalition civilians, has 20 made up from a different sew shop and sells them on ebay 3 sold 8 available made for the team blah blah blah....That should alert collectors they are reproductions and or fantasy patches!

Now I have rare Tier 1 unit NZ SAS, US CAG and others from known source's, myself and others choose not to show to any one including members here of these "patches" for obvious reasons, more for not wanting to add to the reproductions etc...one day they will come out but not by myself or my friends.

Not all are SOF below are NOT SF but are moral/souvenir patches made by Canadian, US Aus individuals and there are tons of patches like this from all coalition nations serving in GWOT.

The bottom line don't buy off ebay as they will be reproductions and are not from known sources.

Phill