British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

Recent Books by Forum Members

Go Back   British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum > British Military Insignia > Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia

Other Pages: Galleries, Links etc.
Glossary  Books by Forum Members     Canadian Pre 1914    CEF    CEF Badge Inscriptions   Canadian post 1920     Canadian post 1953     British Cavalry Badges     Makers' Marks    Pipers' Badges  Canadian Cloth Titles  Books  SEARCH

Old 15-08-19, 12:40 PM

Default Help Wanted SAS Beret

Hi all, would like to ask if anyone has a original period SAS sand beret for 1983 - 85 with rayon sweatband which they would be willing to part with?

I served with 63 SAS Signal Squadron in the 80's but due to some desperate thinking some time ago I sold everything but my dignity on ebay to get myself out of a financial hole, unfortunately including my beret and stable belt. I would very much like to replace the beret (managed to acquire a replacement belt) but although SAS berets are ten a penny on ebay, I am having great difficulty in finding a genuine Compton webb beret with rayon sweatband that would fit the time period, although it wouldn't be my issued beret it would be more genuine than a modern one with leather sweatband, anyone able to help please?.
Old 15-08-19, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Hi all, would like to ask if anyone has a original period SAS sand beret for 1983 - 85 with rayon sweatband which they would be willing to part with?

I served with 63 SAS Signal Squadron in the 80's but due to some desperate thinking some time ago I sold everything but my dignity on ebay to get myself out of a financial hole, unfortunately including my beret and stable belt. I would very much like to replace the beret (managed to acquire a replacement belt) but although SAS berets are ten a penny on ebay, I am having great difficulty in finding a genuine Compton webb beret with rayon sweatband that would fit the time period, although it wouldn't be my issued beret it would be more genuine than a modern one with leather sweatband, anyone able to help please?.

Let me check, (I may have bought yours), did yours have the liner still in it?
Old 15-08-19, 03:45 PM

This type?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CW SAS or's beret.jpg (61.4 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg SAS small 5.jpg (38.1 KB, 41 views)

Jerry
Old 15-08-19, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBBOND View Post
This type?
Exactly like that, did forget to quote preferably size 55 inch, or 6 and seven eigths! I would add that size is not crucial as I intend to put it pressed flat in a frame with my stable belt, blazer badge and a photo but just want it to be authentic to the beret I wore in 1984-86. Being a collector I would not want to take an SAS badge off a beret if it was genuine issue and original as that would have significant value as it is, so finding a period beret either without a badge or an actual SAS Signals beret with badge is my aim.

Cheers Tony

Last edited by sailorbear; 16-08-19 at 04:57 PM.
Old 15-08-19, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsoldier View Post
Let me check, (I may have bought yours), did yours have the liner still in it?
Mine did still have the liner in but with the plastic diamond removed. it was a size 55. (I sold it on ebay about 2008)

Cheers Tony

Last edited by sailorbear; 15-08-19 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-09-19, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorbear View Post
Mine did still have the liner in but with the plastic diamond removed. it was a size 55. (I sold it on ebay about 2008)

Cheers Tony
Hi mate, just dug through my boxes, and alas mine doesn't tally with yours, mines liner removed, but it was an ebay purchase.

Apologies,
Tom